Possible sleepwalking episodes

Lionheart

Sponsor
I was sleeping in the hospital last week and suddenly I felt pain in my arm and opened my eyes to not only see that I was out of bed, but also had blood covering both forearms. Seems I pulled my IV out of my arm while asleep. This happened twice, two nights in a row.

Does anyone else have sleepwalking behaviors or other sleep disorders that have caused them to hurt themselves?

scout86

MyPTSD Pro
My T says one of his sons once broke his foot while "sleep running". There are a bunch of scary stories online about people doing things while sleeping that they shouldn't do. (And you might want to NOT read them.) Personally, I once broke a door. Didn't get hurt and didn't realize anything had happened till I saw the door the next morning. I don't THINK I sleepwalk often and that time, which is the last time I'm aware of, there was lots of stuff going on and I suspect it was some kind of weird brain reaction to stress. But I don't know.

It's a thing, I know that. I'm really not sure what you do about it, especially if you're in the hospital. Being physically restrained doesn't sound good either! Get well soon!!!

Lionheart

Sponsor
There are a bunch of scary stories online about people doing things while sleeping that they shouldn't do. (And you might want to NOT read them.)
I agree @scout86 I probably won't read them. It would prolly just stress me out.
Personally, I once broke a door. Didn't get hurt and didn't realize anything had happened till I saw the door the next morning. I don't THINK I sleepwalk often and that time, which is the last time I'm aware of, there was lots of stuff going on and I suspect it was some kind of weird brain reaction to stress. But I don't know.
Oh wow, that must have been scary, ...Many years ago I was diagnosed with REM sleep behavior disorder as I was acting out physically in my sleep. I would wake up after punching the wall or the nightstand and be cursing the whole entire time. I plan to talk to my Psyche doctor about the new episodes.
It's a thing, I know that. I'm really not sure what you do about it, especially if you're in the hospital. Being physically restrained doesn't sound good either! Get well soon!!!
Thanks again so much. It was difficult being hooked up to all the tubes and wires that kept me restrained to the bed! After a while, the hospital begins to feel like a prison instead of a hospital. In the past, they prescribed Klonopin to reduce nighttime activities.

Thank you for your reply!!!

barefoot

Sponsor
I have non-REM sleep disorders (largely night terrors and night time hallucinations) so, yeah, I’ve woken up plenty of times out of bed and standing somewhere I shouldn’t be. And, yes, I have injured myself on a few occasions too (black eyes, other bumps and bruises and scrapes, ripped ligaments in my leg)

I wonder whether being in a hospital/being restrained etc heightened some feelings for you, which triggered some night time activity?

Also possible that, if you’re on strong painkillers, or you’ve had an anaesthetic or there’s been some other medication change while you’ve been in there, that has triggered some sleep disruption.

I hope you’re better and able to go home soon! And that the sleep things settle down quickly.