• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Possible SSRI Drug Interactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 93

This is a list of possible SSRI drug interactions and is by no means intended to be a complete list or medical advice. Sorces are Medscape, medicinenet, MedlinePlus, Feeling Good by David Burns M.D.If you are taking any SSRIs in combination with other drugs please let me know what to help further educate the board on possible interactions. I would like to add to this list of any possible interactions so this list is as complete as we can make it. That takes all of us contributing. You can send it to me in a message and I will add info I find on it. Thanks guys.SSRIs
  • Zoloft - sertraline
  • Paxil - paroxetine
  • Celexa - citalopram
  • Luvox - fluvoxamine
  • Prozac - fluoxetine

• "TCAs" tricyclic and tetracyclic anti-depressants - Can increase TCA levels. Abnormal heart rhythms could result.
  • "MAOIs" monoamine oxidase inhibitors - Contradicted and not should be used together. Leads to serotonin syndrome which includes irritability, altered consciousness, double vision, nausea, confusion, anxiety, hyperthermia, increased muscle tone, rigidity, myoclonus, rapid fluctuations in vital signs, and coma. Can cause death
  • serotonin antagonist - May raise levels of serotonin antagonist and cause anxiety
  • Wellbutrin - bupropion - Raises risk of seizure. The manufacturer of bupropion states that the simultaneous use of bupropion and antidepressants should be undertaken only with extreme caution.
  • Effexor - venlafaxine - May rise levels of venlafaxine
  • benzodiazepines - (brands) eg XanaxLink Removed. May increase levels of benzodiazepines causing excessive drowsiness and confusion
  • BuSpar - buspirone - May enhance SSRIs effects though Prozac may reduce effectiveness of BuSpar
  • lithium - May lead to lithium toxicity at normal lithium levels
  • alcohol - Increased drowsiness
  • caffeine - Luvox causes levels to rise and excess nervousness may result
  • tobacco - May lower levels of Luvox
  • dextromethorphan - (cough suppressant) reported hallucinations w/Prozac, possible w/any SSRI

[DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread238.html"]Lexapro[/DLMURL] (escitalopram oxalate) is an SSRI also....

Last edited:
SSRI side effects

I want to add to the SSRI side effects in combination with another medication that can cause some serious problems.

I took Adderall with Prozac and had severe side effects of euphoria and suicidal thoughts. I tried Celexa with Adderall and the same thing happened, plus I had adrenaline rushing through my body. I think it's called an over dose of serotonin when combined.

Some people can take SSRI's with stimulants though.

Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back