• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Posting Images: When Its Ok, And When It's Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeylittle

Sponsor
The Internet is a big place - but that doesn't mean that the content is always free to be replicated or reproduced.

Many images and info graphics found on the Internet are considered to be fair use - meaning, they are either not under copyright or ownership has been relinquished.

But, many images - even those that have gone viral - are owned. If we post them without the proper licensing, we become subject to fines and takedown notices.

Unless you own an image, or have a license to use it - you should not post it.

Some members will remember when all image threads were discouraged. Lately, we've been more permissive, and trusting in fair use. However, it's not in the best interests of the forum to continue doing so.

Posting images that you personally own (things you've taken pictures of or drawn) is absolutely OK.

If common sense tells you an image is under copyright - cartoons, for example - or, when a copyright is clearly visible on the image - please don't post it.

Moderators will err on the side of caution.

Image threads can be fun and supportive; however, they are opening the site up to potential problems that are not worth the cost.

Over the next week, you'll notice staff editing threads/posts containing images.

You can help us out by reporting images that are not clearly owned by the poster.

PLEASE NOTE: If you read this thread, you'll notice posts referring to media embeds. Those have since been disabled - please see this thread for more info: Media With Recent Security Changes

Addendum, August 24, 2016: We also ask that you refrain from posting only an emoticon as a response whenever possible. It's not breaking any rule to do so, and sometimes using that kind of shorthand is appropriate to the circumstance; however, threads that consisted entirely of emoticon-based responses wouldn't be as helpful or supportive as having some actual words thrown in. The notable exception is this thread, in the Social forum: Your Day In Emoticons. Go there to get all your emoticons on!:)

Last edited:
Those YouTube videos hyperlink and insert themselves. If we can't post the video can we just post the link to the video? How? Is that a site function? I mean I know I just copy the link and the video inserts itself.

So all media in the media part of the forum must be our own pictures?

I sure hope youtube videos aren't a problem, because an awful lot of people post them, including me. It would be a ton of work to remove them all. I'd think someone would have mentioned it before now if it weren't okay... but let's wait and see what the admins have to say.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

The above link may answer a few questions. I have variants that fall under the 25% change (hence captions) and nonstock photo ruling. However I will back edit what I can due to the computerized time limitations for members of those blatant possible risk.

I do find usage of only our own work a bit extreme (since it becomes the site's property) and as well it disallows fair usage laws. From my limited understanding of this site's nonentity proclaim and/or status by the owners, international laws and what knot - is not some educational material allowed with reference or are we only targeting photos?

For anyone not familiar with me as a member, this is a open dialog as it is a fostering community of communication and in no way am I intending to disrespect nor challenge the sovereignty of the governing body and/or staff. I will respectfully comply and am upon occasion slightly dense. ;)

Last edited:
YouTube videos are not a problem.

Yes, @Recovery4Me - it is a generalization for us to say 'don't post it unless you own it': however, the risks are difficult to justify.

This article is worth reading: http://artlawjournal.com/internet-meme-getty-letter/

It recounts the infringement issues on the 'Socially Awkward Penguin' meme. In short, the image was owned by Getty - it sourced from the work of a National Geographic photographer - and back-licensing fees that were charged.

Material being used for educational and research purposes - two common applications here on MyPtsd - are more likely to fall under fair use.

I do not know what you are referring to when you say 25% variant: it sounds like the common misconception that captioning an image counts as altering it - but that's not accurate.

Also, your link is from 2011 and does not constitute legal advice (as the disclaimer states).

No one in staff has time to go chasing down images to see whether they are public-domain images. If there's something you want to post, and are confident it is in the public domain - then make it easy for us to verify that.

But the safest thing for the site is just to say: if you don't own it, don't post it.

So all media in the media part of the forum must be our own pictures?
Simple answer: yes.

Slightly more nuanced answer: images in the public domain are acceptable, images being used expressly for educational purposes (research images and infographics) are more likely to be permissible, but ascertaining whether or not a image is OK or not OK is something that our volunteer staff does not have time to do.

When members are more informed, and able to take responsibility for staying safely inside the parameters of the law, everyone benefits.

Youtube video embedding is controlled by the uploader, being that embedding is part of youtube, thus permissions are given to the owner to restrict embedding, however, embedding the content still remains with youtube at the authors account. If you downloaded the youtube file and posted it elsewhere, you then infringe on copyright beyond the parameters of youtube embedding, where you are legally being licensed to embed, not reproduce, the video content.

All members should take heed of image copyright and not listen to much of the nonsense written in blog posts or such around the www. If you breach copyright, you are the one legally responsible, not MyPTSD. We have responsibilities, which we are constantly taking. We take down the image, but we are not responsible for you posting it, at which time we will have to provide all your contact details for the appropriate authorities to track you down for further legal pursuance.

The person who takes or creates an image, the original, is the copyright holder. They do not need to write copyright on their image, they don't need to do anything legally, because they automatically own the copyright. They may then not care about reuse, or such, but at no stage does it remove copyright from them, nor the laws of copyright, being that you sought permission from the owner to reproduce that image elsewhere.

There is a reason why images are not included in our copyright terms, because you own what you take / create automatically by law in most countries. By posting it here, under our legal terms, you license that image to us, which you can't change your mind about after the fact. That is a legally binding agreement, where just taking an image and using it without the authors consent, is not.

@joeylittle thank you. :)

So Avatars, photos on our cover for our profile and thread headers....must be of our origin, correct?

Making sure...sometimes "yes" or "no" works best for me during emotional periods.:x3: Father's Day and all, so I apologize if I seem dogging. Just rattled. Thanks for any courtesy response.

Last edited:
Youtube video embedding is controlled by the uploader, being that embedding is part of youtube, thus permissions are given to the owner to restrict embedding, however, embedding the content still remains with youtube at the authors account. If you downloaded the youtube file and posted it elsewhere, you then infringe on copyright beyond the parameters of youtube embedding, where you are legally being licensed to embed, not reproduce, the video content.
I've read this several times and it still isn't sinking in.

Basically, does this mean that it's all right to embed a youtube video as long as you don't download it first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back