Pristiq issue

NatureHeals

New Here
Has anyone taking Pristiq gone off on their own? I’m cupón 100 mg for 1 1/2 years. I want to discontinue but no longer have a dr or insurance to seek out help. I have a 1 month supply left It states not to cut them in half so how do I lower the dose to eventually stop completely. Thanks I’m advance for any advice 👍

Sideways

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) is a variation of Effexor (venlafaxine), which is famously fairly awful to taper off.

When I'm changing my dose, I do it in 50mg increments, and even that is a fairly huge whack. It isn't one of the medications that I'd personally contemplate coming off without any kind of medical support or guidance.

NatureHeals

New Here
Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) is a variation of Effexor (venlafaxine), which is famously fairly awful to taper off.

When I'm changing my dose, I do it in 50mg increments, and even that is a fairly huge whack. It isn't one of the medications that I'd personally contemplate coming off without any kind of medical support or guidance.
Thank you so much for you info. This is helpful. I will try my best to go off correctly 👍

Sideways

I totally understand the cost issue, and I think you should be up front with your doctor about that - my personal experience is that a lot of doctors don't understand what it's like to not be able to afford basics like healthcare, and it needs to be drawn as a hard line for them, "I just can't afford it."

When I reduce my dose? (Because my pdoc and I often tinker with my meds) The first thing I notice is the lethargy. I get really tired. I also tend to get irritable, and it messes with my gut (but then, I have a pretty sensitive gut!).

It's definitely doable - and potentially as simple as getting a pack of 50mg tablets to help you taper off. But definitely a doctor will be able to tell you how long those step-downs should be, given your personal medication situation, other health issues, the way you metabolise your meds, and given how long you've been on your current dose👍