• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Processing Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatBird

MyPTSD Pro
Hi

Does anyone have any suggestion on this?

I am not referring to anger, but rage, the kind that wants to devastate and destroy

I do the punch bag gig but it's not enough, it is turning in

Was wondering about effigy or something art therapyish....

Thoughts welcome

The thing that helps me most with intense emotions (when I remember it) is something I got from Pema Chodrin's books. She talks about Drop the Story, Go to the Body. So to remove all your attention from thoughts in your brain (really not easy but heh - chip away at it by repetition) and focus all your attention on your body. Sensations, aches and pains, sense of where your limbs are, heat and cold, feeling of clothes and seating etc.

In intense emotion it really is hard to do. But when I manage, it let's me feel the emotion and let go of it a shit tonne quicker. X

The thing that helps me most with intense emotions (when I remember it) is something I got from Pema Chodrin's books. She talks about Drop the Story, Go to the Body. So to remove all your attention from thoughts in your brain (really not easy but heh - chip away at it by repetition) and focus all your attention on your body. Sensations, aches and pains, sense of where your limbs are, heat and cold, feeling of clothes and seating etc.

In intense emotion it really is hard to do. But when I manage, it let's me feel the emotion and let go of it a shit tonne quicker. X

@berlinda thank you

I am doing a lot of meditation, sitting with it etc but feels as though I actually need to physically do something to assist moving the energy too. Saying this I will try to be super conscous of it when I start practice shortly. Thank you for responding, suggestion and reminding me of Pema

I did a volunteer stint at a glass recycling place. Standing in a dumpster with safety gear breaking stuff. When I left the area I'd garage sale or thrift shop stuff and have it boxed. When need be I'd bust it all in the garbage can. A whole lot of rage released for a paltry few bucks. Kept it safe, and relatively controlled so it wouldn't leak out other places.

I grew up very hostile environment so rage was embedded in my psyche for a long time. I did a lot of working out but it just cooked my muscles not made the feelings acknowledged. I never externalized my rag. I was not aware of how deeply it was internalized either.
But one time in therapy, I had an interesting session, where I split into me and my mother and my mother side was raging but my side was sort of lame or non existant. What happened was so profound for me. Since my side or me as child side lost all power, my mother and raging side was forefront and the therapist was extremely emphathic to her.

In reality if course these were all my parts and I experienced both being powerless and rage I inherited from my experience with my mother. I have never saw myself the same. I have come concoius of a meta implicit memories so deeply that I am now able to read, to hold and to channel appropriately my rage into aggression in competitive sports. I am not afriad what my rage will do. I know I can tap in to it when I need. It is a feeling not a monster I manage.
That is why I asked if you have therapy.
What I know now...my recommendation is this: next time you have a genuine anger turning into rage see if you can become completely concoius enuf to say but am feeling rage and stay with it. Walk away if you must but cognitively know where you got it from first.

I did a volunteer stint at a glass recycling place. Standing in a dumpster with safety gear breaking stuff. When I left the area I'd garage sale or thrift shop stuff and have it boxed. When need be I'd bust it all in the garbage can. A whole lot of rage released for a paltry few bucks. Kept it safe, and relatively controlled so it wouldn't leak out other places.
@The Albatross My body got lit up at the idea of being in a dumpster smashing glass. Thank you for sharing your experience

I grew up very hostile environment so rage was embedded in my psyche for a long time. I did a lot of working out but it just cooked my muscles not made the feelings acknowledged. I never externalized my rag. I was not aware of how deeply it was internalized either.
But one time in therapy, I had an interesting session, where I split into me and my mother and my mother side was raging but my side was sort of lame or non existant. What happened was so profound for me. Since my side or me as child side lost all power, my mother and raging side was forefront and the therapist was extremely emphathic to her.

In reality if course these were all my parts and I experienced both being powerless and rage I inherited from my experience with my mother. I have never saw myself the same. I have come concoius of a meta implicit memories so deeply that I am now able to read, to hold and to channel appropriately my rage into aggression in competitive sports. I am not afriad what my rage will do. I know I can tap in to it when I need. It is a feeling not a monster I manage.
That is why I asked if you have therapy.
What I know now...my recommendation is this: next time you have a genuine anger turning into rage see if you can become completely concoius enuf to say but am feeling rage and stay with it. Walk away if
you must but cognitively know where you got it from first.
Thanks for your response. Sounds like
you have really worked to find a way to transmute the rage; this is great. Are you able to say more about this process, the
tracking element?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back