• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical psPTSD (Post Surgical PTSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starfire

MyPTSD Pro
My ortho surgeon's PA told me the Doc had written a referral to, I was to discover, a psychiatrist. Thought it was just another Doc checking something after my ER hip replacement surgery. When I called, I was told it was for psPTSD. If like me you never heard of it,it's post surgery PTSD.

I went thru a year of misdiagnosis, improper treatment, lack of pain management until progressing to being unable to walk. When I refused, the Doc gently said I was a textbook case. Almost said I already have PTSD, I can handle it. But I just thought it

Everything was fine for 5 weeks. Then, well you know. But the original events seem to be mixed in with this psPTSD stuff. I've put myself back on anti-anxiety meds which helps.

Wondering if anyone here has experienced this psPTSD. Some research indicates it could dissolve itself over time. But I've heard that before!

I wasn't diagnosed with that specifically but part of my ptsd involves a convoluted several months long ride thru a military clinic run by untrained idiots that caused some major medical damage im still dealing with decades later. And yep...I've made some progress on it but still a long way to go. My t just lumps it all together :laugh:

I have medical trauma in my trauma history, but like you, I already had PTSD. So, rather than it being the cause of my PTSD, it’s just one more thing on the list.

Sometimes, the stress of surgery alone... no matter how well it went... is more than enough to kick my symptoms up into high gear. Ditto any other kind of injury, or illness. Other times new med stuff can rise to the level of stressor or trigger, as it dovetails with previous trauma. And, of course, if I’ve gone and picked up a brand new capT Trauma? It would be more surprising if I didn’t get a symptom spike, at the very least. Especially if I’ve got unprocessed trauma piling onto new trauma... but the new trauma alone is enough to do it.

So we’ve got stress, stressors, triggers, new trauma, & probably some lost coping mechanisms (most of my best coping mechanisms require physical activity) any time I go in for surgery. Cha. That’s likely to sting a bit.

Last edited:
Ditto...

I have major medical trauma in history since birth, so technically I could say I was trauma jacked way since wee, but the things I count as source are other schtuff / sick kid that was forced to hard lives where just 'I sick' was the good news, worry about not dead the day.

IMO stabilization when highly symptomatic is the first thing to mind, not go into root cause?

Cover your medical concerns +
The symptoms of PTSD most interfering with life now...

Sort out root trauma when relatively stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back