• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Psychological Treatments For Chronic Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
Method

In a systematic review of randomised controlled trials, eligible studies were assessed against methodological quality criteria and data were extracted and analysed.

Results

Thirty-eight randomised controlled trials were included in the meta-analysis. Trauma-focused cognitive–behavioural therapy (TFCBT), eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR), stress management and group cognitive–behavioural therapy improved PTSD symptoms more than waiting-list or usual care. There was inconclusive evidence regarding other therapies. There was no evidence of a difference in efficacy between TFCBT and EMDR but there was some evidence that TFCBT and EMDR were superior to stress management and other therapies, and that stress management was superior to other therapies.

Conclusions

The first-line psychological treatment for PTSD should be trauma-focused (TFCBT or EMDR).

Source: British Journal
http://news.google.com.au/news/url?...t/full/190/2/97&cid=0&ei=uybFRemMIqmeHPyp0ZoH

I think the greatest healer is the person, themself, and "Time". Then again, 'time' can cut short the persons ability to heal.

EFT-Emotional Freedom Technique

I found this website looking for something else. Started the download of the pdf on that site and attempted to alleviate some lingering anxieties. It works but you do have to stick with it. It's a tapping technique used on the meridians of the body. I was looking for something that was noninvasive because the thought of somebody sticking a bunch of needles in me for acupuncture did not sit well with my frame of mind. This EFT is quick and easy, doesn't take long to learn and (YEA!) costs nothing. There are practitioners who do take classes for certification in order to help individuals with problems in a one on one setting. Therapy can be done over the phone. Since no one around here where I live is certified I just do it for myself but it seems like a viable alternative. It may be a psychological thing I really don't know, like a placebo effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back