Psychosomatic symptoms (e.g. pain) and EMDR

Juso

MyPTSD Pro
Hey guys,

I have the general impression that since I've started doing EMDR therapy some months ago, I began to gradually feel more psychosomatic symptoms (e.g. bone pain in hands, arms, feet and legs, pain in my lower abdomen, intense itching and violent scratching, ect). Can anyone relate?

Thanks;blank;

Freida

Sponsor
oh ya.. hands go numb, lose my voice, achey all over....all part of the fun of EMDR.
If it goes on for more than a day or so after your session let your T know - she may need to back off on the intensity to get your brain/emotions/body caught up with each other

Juso

MyPTSD Pro
@Freida Thanks for your reply😌In my case it does not happen directly after or during the session (tho sometimes it does too) - it just happens increasingly more on average since I started doing EMDR therapy. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Freida

Sponsor
Yep!

My fibro will often act up if I've had a couple rough sessions in a row but it sometimes takes a couple days to really hit me.
I think it has to do with the stress/inflammation connection. I sometimes forget how really, really stressful emdr is and that it activates my fight or flight response and dumps a crap ton of adrenaline into my system. After a while that builds up and wham!!!!! I'm down on the couch and trying to back track what set it off. Especially in the beginning before I figured out which self care routine would help.

Juso

MyPTSD Pro
I think it has to do with the stress/inflammation connection.
That makes sense!
For me it feels like something is coming out of my body - but the process of pulling it out is painful and lenghty. Sometimes I also think EMDR just reveals parts of me/lets them speak.
Thanks❤️