• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD and Cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortiis31

Learning
Hey everyone -

people must think I am ****ing nuts, I think more of my two cats than I do of any people! Is this common for people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Everyone I know says I'm insane talking to them, treating them like my friends, but honestly - they're the only friends that I have!

Sometimes I question myself :

HELP!

I think that is normal with people in general, some are just cat people.

I LOVE my cats too and often talk to them.....LOL but i think some people are just pet people or cat people too. You are not going nuts.

Generally speaking I like animals more than people, or at least, I am more comfortable with animals. We have three cats at home, but also a puppy and goats. I like horses too.

My cat, September, has been more helpful then anyone, period. With my PTSD. I don't even need to say "I'm having a bad time with this today..." and she knows.

Sometimes at night I'll be crying, and my cat will jump on the bed and stand over me, looking... I love that girl. She IS my best friend. You're not crazy Mort :thumbs-up

She knows my secrets, I can talk to her better then I can anyone else... she saved my life, and I saved hers (I rescued her from the pound)...

Oh and I forgot to mention this Mortiis, but I started this thread about a month back that you might be interested in reading:

[DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread5245.html[/DLMURL]

Hi Mort,

Animals are great. Yes you can tell them you deepest, darkest secrets, and they won't tell anyone.

I have a friend that has PTSD too, he has always said that he like animals better than people. After living with him for 7 yrs, and knowing him for almost 20.....I believe him when he says that.......Of course he has never received treatment for his PTSD either, so he has an anger issue. He tolerates just about nothing, and doesn't like to get close to people either....He loves animals though.

I can't have animals where I live now, but house sit for people and take care of theirs... I enjoy it.

Wendy

I truly like animals better than people. 100% Animals are simple. They are.. they can commit cruel acts but they do so out of survival (mostly.) People are not. I'd brake for a squirrel, help save an animal; with people I have to think about it. I prefer animals.

So from all the answers, it sounds like a common theme.

bec

i'm a cats person too. my best friend, satana jerusalem, is a cat... she takes care of me. when i have a fever she sits on my chest and licks my nose like they do with their babies when they're ill.

Sometimes my two dogs are the only reason for getting out of bed in the morning.

Unconditional love... tons of patience... non-judgement.... loyalty.

Can't find that combination in people very often.

m1

You're okay. :smile:

If it wasn't for my dog when I was growing up, I would have been veeeery lonely. I love animals, and I always have.

Like m1 said, unconditional love. Your animals love you no matter what you do and how you act.

On the subject of cats. Without my "kids" I would be truely lost. My Hercules, B.C. and Miss Fancy Pants are my life. I have no friends. My child will have no contact with me. While I do have my elder mother living with me----My "kids" are my life, my friends. My favorite is Hercules! We really are true soul mates.. This cat has a soul that pierces my very core. Sometimes he can look so deep into my soul that it feels like he is trying to take my pain and suffering away. Try explaining this to someone who is not a cat person and they will be convinced that you ARE crazy. Where would we be without our support group---no matter what the species? Right???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back