• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd and gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
What is your opinion about ptsd and gender?
I always think that having ptsd is difficult to cope with for men because if gender stereotypes. I mean that it is probably more difficult for them to see themselves as a resin with ptsd and that is why they talk less about it. I noticed that most sufferers on this board are female but most supporters... are also female. Male sufferers and male supporters do not seem to post here.

How to you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so sure if it is gender specific or maybe the cultural roles/expectations concerning behavior assigned to gender. A lot of men that I know are not comfortable expressing their feelings openly or within a group. It isn't something they have been encouraged to do or developed the skills/comfort level. "Strong and silent" is taken too literally.

Sure we do, all my supporters are female, but I did have this one male psychologist for about 4 years? IDK, things run together. Yes, it's more women here and I agree with your post pretty much. My cPTSD is from CSA. Yes, it's harder for men in some very real ways. Yes, it's very hard to talk about it. I was on a board that was about this that was for men, there were women allowed but they were very few. I was not able really to do that. I was not comfortable there. I don't do men's group things. It's an issue in therapy. My therapists career is built in a way on these weekends of recovery she runs and I won't go. I'll give you the links if you pm me, I try not to post them anymore IDK why. So yes, there are men here IDK everyone's gender when reading them, I don't look it up, I prefer to be surprised (usually) when I find out. : )

PTSD is diagnosed in far more women than men. My personal theory is that's because women and girls are generally exposed to more traumatic events and men fail to self-report trauma, not because of brain differences. But I could very easily be wrong.

Men fail to report trauma and seek help because it would go against traditional masculine values such as self-reliance and "suck-it-upitude." It's why the suicide rate for men is much higher than for women.

There's no evidence to show this is changing.
Why Millennial Men Don’t Go to Therapy – MEL Magazine

I agree with pretty much everything posted here. Men in many Western societies are taught by social norms to be strong, where strength is defined as expressing anger and hostility, but no other emotions.

It makes sense that men would not seek out diagnoses of PTSD, or even see major traumatic events as “trauma.”

In some non-Western societies, men are supposed to be completely emotionless, also leading to them not recognizing trauma or admiting to being affected by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back