• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd diagnosis v cptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
i am diagnosed with PTSD and I feel this us accurate. My therapist oz not label oriented but a lot of my therapy focuses not on my trigger incident but on childhood and the nurture that made me ’me’. Sometimes I feel she is steering me towards being in a place that were she label focused would be cptsd. I fon’t feel that's accurate. I did suffer CSA and some other situations, ( some dramas ) but I do not feel that I had PTSD before my trigger incident/ breakdown whatever. I think that incident was the traumatic event and that I had survived the previous traumas of childhood with out PTSD.

Is It more likely I am being stubborn and resistant?

To be clear I fully accept that my previous life experience made me who I am and my morals and probably made me the type of person who could get PTSD, but I do not think I feel recurring trauma over those events. I had processes them adequately in early adulthood and accepted them as part of my history but not defining.

Does the definition even matter? I think I want to ’blame’ my perp for my ptsd ( not fair I accept) in order to feel anger? The emotion I struggle to maintain and process.

Possibly relevant is that I did gave anger and processed it for the childhood stuff. I think that helped. I over worked out anger through a false idea it was a bad emotion to have. So thats why my therapist and I work really hard to connect me with anger.

Would there be any difference in your treatment or resources available to you depending on the dia...

Certainly not resources available to me no.

I don't know about treatment.

I wonder if I am being obstinate and that if I maybe accepted I have always been impaired by ptsd I didn’t know about then it might change my outlook on some things . But I don’t know. It's not something I know anything about!

Have you asked her why she keeps bringing up childhood and if she is considering a cPTSD diagnosis?
my therapy focuses not on my trigger incident but on childhood and the nurture that made me ’me’.
This happens in therapy for those without cPTSD.
I think that incident was the traumatic event and that I had survived the previous traumas of childhood with out PTSD.
It’s my understanding that this doesn’t rule in or out cPTSD.

I most strongly suggest you ask her to explain why she’s bringing up childhood trauma and see what she says about the diagnosis.

I read another thread. I have PTSD and I now realise that my therapist asking me to consider longer term abuses isn’t challenging my diagnosis or saying that this one was not the ’ trigger’ .

Have you asked her why she keeps being up childhood and if she is considering a cPTSD diagnosis?

T...

I think I have it now. She wasn’y using the terms : I have been mistakenly extrapolating without understanding Cptsd fully. Reading a link Friday gave helped.

When we have talked about diagnosis, only a few times, it's been that she us more interested in ’me’ than labels. Also I was very concerned about some things that had been suggested to me or that I feared about my self and she went through why she felt these labels were not appropriate and I was ’merely’ traumatised and suffering after impacts if some horrific circumstances and had the frame work I built myself on shakey foundations ( previous circumstances) impacted without reinforcement many expect.

The reference to my childhood is echoing things that have been triggered in ’the trigger incident’ or how my self esteem was vulnerable to destruction from this in a way that those with different background might not have.

Does knowing that hell make it easier to talk about your childhood?

I do not enjoy talking about it. It feels redundant. Nothing can be done about it now! I kind of know all that we are saying. It feels a bit self indulgent to have someone else listen to it all. And I feel guilt often about it I guess.

But now I read Fridays link I understand more :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back