• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD exacerbated by issues with the healthcare system

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
Ok, this might be long and rambly. Sorry about that. I am having major issues with anxiety and anger and rage and a whole host of other things I can't identify and I just need someone to hear me.

Ssince I was about 16, I have had multiple issues with the healthcare system--with providers (dismissive treatment, misdiagnosis, gross violation of privacy, etc), some related to my depression, much not; with hospitals (poor care, malpractice, incorrect billing). The more I think about it and the more it happens, the more I realize it directly impacts my PTSD in various ways.

I've been told pneumonia (and coughing up green sputum) was my depression, my headaches were stress (they were not. I ended up having brain surgery), I needed to take Tylenol for the abdominal pain I had for over a year (it was massive fibroids and required surgery), was billed $500/day during a hospitalization for an employee to turn on my CPAP machine (literally pushing a button), and to push through the debilitating pain I was having. And so much more. I don't trust--for good reason--medical "professionals" or institutions. At all.

So, I was in the hosptial in June with severe flank pain, which ended up being a sizable kidney stone. I needed surgery. Care was shitty. But that was five months ago, right? Well, I got a bill--correction, I got a message to pay the bal left on my bill after insurance. I wrote them and requested a detailed invoice WITH charges, and they have refused. On my 3rd exchange with them, they directed me to pages on their website that held several spreadsheets (the largest with over 2000 line items) and told me I had to look the charges up myself.

I think that broke me. I've been upset and angry over general "care" and the way consent is expected here (signing an electronic pad without reading any forms), and this just feels incredibly wrong. Some folks can't do this (and it's gonna take me a while, if I end up doing it); it seems to be set up to discourage people from knowing what they have been charged and for what.

This enrages me. This lack of care and concern and this general dismissiveness infuriates me. I feel like I need to do something about it (and the whole consent thing), but I can't find anyone or anywhere to start.

Oh, how I can relate ... Unfortunately. So sorry you are wading thru this mess. It is also the feeling they don't care. Doing their technical job not caring for the patient, at least for me.
Hope things will improve for you quickly.

Oh, how I can relate ... Unfortunately. So sorry you are wading thru this mess. It is also the feeling they don't care. Doing their technical job not caring for the patient, at least for me.
Hope things will improve for you quickly.
Thanks for reading and responding! I'm sorry you understand. :-( We shouldn't have to go through all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back