1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ptsd From School Shooting

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ann2357, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ann2357

Ann2357 New Member

Hello,
    I am looking for other members who have PTSD as a result of going through a school shooting. I was a teacher at a Highschool when there was a school shooting. I would really like to connect with others, students or staff who have a similar experience.

EveHarrington, Rain, Ronin and 3 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Abstract

Abstract I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi and welcome. I haven't had an experience like this but did want to let you know that you were heard. I have had a similar ish and I'm sure less severe terrorism experience.

I am really sorry this happened. I'm sure being here will help you with your healing.

Rain, Ann2357, hodge and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ann2357

Ann2357 New Member

Thank you

Rain and Abstract like this.
  5. Amethyst

Amethyst Member

Hello! My experience was not a school shooting, but it was a mass shooting at a nightclub. I found that there was not a specific topic for mass shooting survivors, so I figured I'd offer my experience since there may not be many of us. I actually plan on going into the education field within the next year or so, and school shootings are a major fear of mine.

Rain and Ronin like this.
  6. BrokenSparrow

BrokenSparrow New Member

Hello- I'm so sorry you have gone through this, but I hope you find the support you need here. I was not involved in a shooting at a school, but at a mall. I can honestly say it was the most terrifying experience I've ever had, and it changed everything for me. Gun violence in this country is becoming so prevalent, and every time something even minor about it pops up in conversation, or on the news, it can send me into a full blown flashback. I haven't really been able to talk about my experience with others too much, because they don't understand. They say 'it's been years! You survived. You're fine. Move on.' They don't know, because they weren't there. All this to say, I DO understand what you're going through, at least a little. And I'm here to listen. :)

Rain, zebbidee and hodge like this.
  7. cactus_jack

cactus_jack I'm a VIP

Ann, I was in an "almost-a-shooting" back when I was a kid. That was in, I think, 1983...? The things the school district did then are way different than now. It was a classic "kid felt bullied & wanted to strike back" situation. Long story I don't want to get into, but gawd was it awful in how everything happened before and after.

Rain, Ronin and zebbidee like this.
  8. KayLizzy

KayLizzy Guest

Hi, I went through a school shooting as well during late 2015. I was a student at a community college when it happened so I'm sure we can relate quite a bit. I'm so sorry that you've eperienced anything of the sort and I hope you're doing alright. I can imagine being a teacher in this kind of situation is especially difficult but please know that your students appreciate all efforts made by staff members- especially teachers, to make the school environment a safe, healing, and accepting place after events such as these.

Rain and Ronin like this.
  9. zebbidee

zebbidee Active Member

@BrokenSparrow I too witnessed a shooting murder in a mall. i was a teenager and disassociated at the time. I remembered it but had no emotion about it at all. I didn't even tell my parents that I saw it, just that someone had been killed. Didn't mention it barely at all over the years, I never cried, I never felt anything. I always thought it "hadn't bothered me" and I may as well have been saying "I saw someone shopping at the mall" on the rare occassion I would say "I saw someone killed at the mall", that's the extent to which my brain blocked the emotion. No fear, no sadness. I continued to work at the same mall, right across from where the murder happened and never once even remember thinking about what happened. My ptsd was triggered last year - total shock to me after many many years. Have you been able to seek treatment to process your trauma? I hope so. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. My therapy has been the best thing I've ever done. @Ann2357 I'm also really sorry you had to experience what you did. I hope you are able to find some support that you can relate to.

@Amethyst I'm so sorry that you experienced that. I can only imagine how terrifying it would be. I hope you're doing okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
    Ronin likes this.
  10. Tuffjulz

Tuffjulz Guest

@Ann2357 Hi Anne, I am a school shooting survivor and have PTSD. I have a hard time connecting with others from my exact trauma, ends up being a trigger for me. I'm glad you find this place, and i am rediscovering it. I would be interested in a active shooter group of there is one on here

☺ Julie

EveHarrington likes this.
Show Sidebar