• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Emerg Services Ptsd from volunteering/abuse weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj

Confident
Is it weird I have PTSD from being volunteer ambulance driver and reserve deputy, plus from longterm childe abuse? How do I explain it to people who ask? I wasn't paid to volunteer so I feel I should not have PTSD from that, I chose to drive ambulance and serve warrants as animal control deputy. The child abuse I grasp, no choice. Not treated equally by paid deputies even though sworn in and responded to 911,after state animal control office training with troopers. Should I just say it for on abuse?

Raj

Is it weird?

No. Perfectly fine that you were a volunteer and not paid. Almost all of the rescues in my county are staffed by volunteers. Sure some are paid, but there is no rule saying you have to be paid in order to get PTSD.

When they ask?

I'd tell them to STFU because it's fcking RUDE to ask someone about their trauma. But hey that's just me.

Thank you for your reply. That's just how I was treated, and sometimes no paid deputies were willing to back me up on dangerous calls, even though I always backed them.

Raj

HI, Most of my 20 years+ EMS work was not paid or only token pay, 2 years were fully paid. After that, 6 years as unpaid victim advocate, along with armed private security and reserve cop.

The most difficult years were all the "volunteer" years. Being on "call" almost all the time...(had to leave town to get a break). Trying to balance all that with family time etc......was much harder than the paid years. Plus my "employer" for most of those years considered my fire/ems work.....as a "HOBBY". In the end they completely screwed me over.

Early on we recognized that we were all "professionals"...that word having nothing to do with what we were paid, or not paid> We all strived to be "professional". The fires were just as hot ; the risks were just as dangerous.

Some huge cities in the east and midwest of the US operate both fire and ems as an all volunteer system....especially back east. They take care of their people and offer a retirement for those that serve a long term.

Not being treated equally just goes with the territory....still, being a volunteer takes much more dedication than the rest of those buffons have.

I DO / DID have similar concerns for a time...How do I answer that question....what did you do ??? Only recently....I just say "medically retired from fire/ems work. I am not ashamed of that .

Looks to me like you served/retired? from ems/ law enforcement. END OF STORY.

If they need to hear morel....tell em to FO***. Unless you have a need to talk about it with a trusted person...( yeah we all need to talk about it )

I hope this helps...let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back