• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd Label Worn Thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosey

MyPTSD Pro
I am now at a point of being embarrassed to say I have PTSD and OCD. It is not because I am ashamed of it or particularly hide it but more because of how PTSD is now thrown around. I have had it for years with the OCD it seems everyone is OCD about something. PTSD is going the same way with people commenting on how a little thing has given them PTSD. a friend says it frequently a bad trip to the shop has given her a night of ptsd. It hasn't and these people know it hasn't there are plenty of other words to say it has shaken them up a little or angered them.

So no when it comes up I hate saying PTSD or OCD as I dont think people actually realise what it is or believe you when you say you suffer with it.

Anyone else feel the same?

PTSD is going the same way with people commenting on how a little thing has given them PTSD. a friend says it frequently a bad trip to the shop has given her a night of ptsd. It hasn't and

Oh, for weird! I feel fortunate that I haven't heard anyone talk so cavalierly about "getting PTSD" from some normal unpleasant experience.

Some people do realize that PTSD and OCD are "invisible" illnesses. It's normal to think of the ones who don't realize that. But more helpful, I think, to think of those who do.

I've heard people joke about it but not seriously say they have it from something do silly. Just like the goofy "triggered" memes on the internet

I am now at a point of being embarrassed to say I have PTSD and OCD. It is not because I am ashamed of it...

I see what you mean Rosey. I can imagine that it would be quite upsetting when somebody throws the term around as if it were some normal reaction to an everyday upsetting experience. It does seem to make light of what we have and genuinely suffer from, doesnt it?

I personally have never told anybody that I suffer from PTSD. Am I embarrassed to admit it? Yeah maybe. But more the point I think is that if I admitted that I have PTSD, then I would have to explain what caused it. And I cant talk about that. I have joking admitted to having OCD though. Like when someone picks me up for having OCD tendencies, I just make light of it and say something like "yeah, I'm a little OCD today". I know I shouldnt make light of it, because it is no laughing matter. But I think I have found it to be the best way I have of getting off the subject. Sort of a coping mechanism I guess.

I dont know what the answer is though. PTSD is in the news so much these days, and the general public are becoming much more aware of its existance. That it is not just a war combatent's complaint. But the general public still do not have a good understanding of it yet. If they did, they would not be talking about it like you have experienced.

Im ashamed of many reasons and have now had a serious disussion with my self that I need to get my act togheter in public. I need to learn to protect my self or I now this will destroy my life.
As I see it it also seems that if you let it out many people either think your joking or that you are a monster. Either way doesnt work. I dont usually tell people without reason, but like getting welfare money I had to.
Lesson after today incident for me living in Noway is that you are on your own.

I don't tell anybody. It is something they don't understand. And if I say, they would like to know what happenned to me. 12 years trapped in a cult. To say this, It is even worse. Why you didn't leave them before? It never wouldn't happened to me. And I should have to start to explain concepts as coercitive manipulation, trance induced stages, mind control, etc, etc. Concepts which have taken me many years to understand (and sometimes even forgot...) So I just avoid it, usually making a joke.

I get it! I hate the title. I wish it weren't that way, but it is. I've had people look at me strangely if I even admit that things that happened 4 years ago are still an issue. So now I don't say anything. I've learned to be a fantastic actress and put on the façade often enough. A coping method maybe, but I don't see any point in having people either pretend to be sympathetic or tell me it's all in my head. That I'm choosing to be or stay a victim. Mostly from people who have never experienced this type of thing.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I think where there is ignorance there will always be people who will either dismiss it as made up or minimize it. Even just change the topic. The unknown can be frightening and admitting it often seems like a weakness. I feel sorry for those people more than anything else. They don't realize what an opportunity they're missing in walking along side someone who might really benefit from some simple compassion.

At least it is in the news a lot more now than ever before. There's a little more open mindedness for people who aren't returning vets. Maybe someday it'll be a lot more accepted and nothing to feel ashamed of.

Really relate. Like l want to go around relieving the memories that brought on the ptsd. I can't tell people. I can't admit the horrible thing l almost did as a result of ptsd. I just have to suck it up and deal with it. I am not ready to take off my mask and explain to you what lies underneath. I prefer to go the actress route also and feign normal in your eyes for now

Ive been hearing it a lot around work and through our customer base recently and hearing that its today's new 'fad' and taking the place of the "emo" fad (which I never got, whats "cool" about being depressed?) and it did bother me, A LOT, most especially when I had my VERY invailidating father (whom STILL doesnt believe me after TWO people have now come foward and said "i remember this happening") pretending to have PTSD to get higher VA benefits.

But after I found my way around that hardle, I learned that what others see as a fad doesnt effect me much. So as long as I am still getting adequate mental health services.

I mean, does it bother me sometimes? A little. But it doesnt really trigger a large emitional response in me like it used to. Or really much of any response other than to shake my head. It just doesnt effect me personally. In my personal life.

And I think a ton of that was a large acceptance that I have no control of what others do, believe, or say.

Now if therapists start to and it effects mental health services then thats another story. But ignorant people that follow the "fad" of the year? That you'll always have. It is sad that mental illness is a "fad" but i think that was started by calling sad and depressed "emo".

I am now at a point of being embarrassed to say I have PTSD and OCD. It is not because I am ashamed of it...

Yep, totally, I know what you mean. There are stalkers that have pried into my life and for the past 6 years they have claimed to have PTSD, ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back