• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

PTSD & Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna5

Learning
I did an overnight sleep study. It was interesting reading the results. The first study I was only able to sleep 2.5 hours so I ended up needing to redo the study. The second study I slept 202 min, which is about 3.5 hours, thats even with a sleeping pill Lunesta.

Sleep onset latency was prolonged at 55min. There were 65 awakenings identified during the evening, some of which were very prolonged.

Sleep stage Architecture
Stage 1 sleep occupied 38.7% of total sleep time, stage 2 54.6%, and slow-wave sleep 6.7%. There was no REM sleep observed.

I only remember it took me awhile to go to sleep then I woke up in the morning. It suprised me that there were 65 awakening.

I met with the doctor beginning of december to go over the results. I have PTSD. I go to bed about the same time every night and get up about the same time. Rarely do I take naps. I had another trauma a year ago. I haven't been on any psychatric mediation for two years. I wonder what is preventing me from going into REM sleep.

I can only speak for myself, I take Trazodone and it's the best thing I could do for myself. I was a lifelong insomniac before, and very resistant to psych meds. Gave it a try because I was so tired, and I've been sleeping 7 - 10 hours every night without interruption, for the first time I can remember...

Sleep

Without medication i do not sleep.

With about 7 hours a night, waking roughly about ten to fifteen times a night, for prolonged periods often. Loads of rem sleep, most infact, and alot of nightmares, alot of waking in 'cold sweats',,, And waking in panics.

Not sure of sleep helping suggestions has anyone got any?

Your trauma is preventing you from sleeping. If you work on your trauma eventually your body will learn to rest again.

Boy, I actually didn't sleep a decent nights sleep for almost 4 years.........My brain chemistry got to the point where even the most powerful drugs.......and lots of them, did not put me out. I actually went psychotic. I felt like I couldn't get into parts of my brain.....I had fungus all over my finger and toenails, candida, couldn't digest anything.
I actually think I almost died.
Then I kicked out my boyfriend trigger and I finally started to sleep. When he was living with me I passed out from dehydration due to the stress from the triggering..........he was unemployed like my Dad.........I never made the connection, just tried to be patient with his issues..........

I finally understand what was happening. I don't even have a fraction of the actual memories........but terrible, horrific things happened to me beginning around 3 I think.........I don't want to know. I just know about the nightmares, hypervigalence, my nervous system was liked it was plugged into an electrical socket for decades........

Horrible......messed up my brain and body real good. I was just trying to hold it together hoping things would get better. It was terrifying.

I'm sleeping now, years later. Often even without drugs. I'm hoping this will help with my brain, which still feels terribly unstable at times.

Sleep is key to life.........My abuse was horrific.......

Sleep hmm. At first I didn't sleep unless I drank my self stupid then i had medication and used to drink and self medicate. Now i am trying not to take medication to sleep and also no drinking. I haven't stopped drinking all together but I have been guilty of it a few times a week. My sleep patterns now vary. I'd like it to just be normal again though ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back