• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Ptsd symptoms back with a vengence - years of physical & sexual abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

New Here
I'm a 26 year old female who developed PTSD from years of phsyical and sexual abuse. It was at its worst about 4 years ago, when my parents disowned me. I was completely unable to function, had to temporarily drop out of school and quit my part-time job. Since then I have slowly regained control of my life through therapy, finding the right medications, taking up running, and creating healthy relationships. I can say that for the past year I've been mostly happy, which you all will understand is saying A LOT! I was back in school and getting great grades, I was working again, and I got engaged! My fiance is a wonderful man, he is actually a therapist who works mainly with kids and is the kindest, most compassionate person I know. He and his family have been with me though everything and have redefined my view of family and love. I was truly proud of myself for all the progress I'd made and was feeling extrodinarily hopeful about the future.

But recently something has triggered by PTSD and it feels like it coming back with a vengence. I'll explain this in detail in another post. But I'm miserable, losing weight and struggling to function again. Maybe I had kidded myself into thinking I'd never have major issues with it again, but this sudden resurgance has hit me like a ton of bricks.

I don't want my life to become derailed again. I want to be temporary. I know I have it in me to beat this, because I have in the past. I know it will never be gone, I know there will always be bad days, but I want to get back to where I was - managing my symptoms in a way that allowed me to live a full, happy life. I'm here because I'm looking for some support and advice from others who are experinecing the same thing, whether your PTSD comes from abuse, combat, or any other trauma.

A little more about me: I'm an art student - art is my passion and (I like to think) I'm pretty decent at it. I also love history and was studying history before changing my major to art. I'm an avid runner who has run half-marathons and would eventually like to do a full. Running has been the most theraputic thing for me. I'm also an animal lover and have two dogs - a chocolate lab an a miniature schnauzer, both of whom I adopted from resuces.

welcome to the forum. I am so sorry that your symptoms have been re-triggered. Are you working with a therapist? What helped you in the past? I cannot speak for all, but symptoms for me are up and down. Take sweet care of yourself and good job for reaching out.

Welcome!!! I hope you find something here. I know for me in my ptsd life I really have to make sure to pace myself in life. Otherwise I can end up burning out.

I hope you find ways to take good care of yourself during this time of triggering.

And always the advice on how to live a balanced life comes to mind, healthy eating, good sleep hygiene, social connections, hydrate, be kind to yourself.

One thing I love is restorative yoga.

I also have many books about ptsd so I can read them again when I need a refresher as I am not in therapy anymore. So it’s up to me to manage my own symptoms.

The one I read recently was “Growing Beyond Survival” and it reminded me of too many things to list.

Also some days just are bad for me. I accept that. And sometimes all I can hope for is a good nights rest so my brain can repair.

How are you today? I like that you are fighting this thing.

Welcome!

I hope this is a temporary blip for you with the PTSD. It's... Kinda understandable, with how much you're achieving, that you'll cop a bit of backlash.

I also love art and history. I have a dog too, she's a Maltese-cross-shitsu, cross-extortionist, cross-animatronic teddy bear.

I've found posting a trauma diary to be really helpful in working through my stuff - I don't even generally post trauma, just day-to-day, getting it under control type stuff. It's your own thread where you can post what you like.

Hope this forum helps. My best wishes on your engagement!

Reading your post made me so happy for your accomplishments and where you are in your life. If you want my advice, I think you should take a few moments to tell yourself that you made all that happen. You are engaged and in treatment because you pushed through a shitty situation with your parents. You have a supportive family now because you deserve one. I mean, even people without supportive families deserve one, but we’re talking about you.

PTSD coming back is 100% normal and it doesn’t mean that you did anything wrong. It’s okay that you thought it would never be this bad again because that means when you feel more healthy, you’re able to distance yourself from the pain and live in the moment.

Take a moment to remind yourself that it’s okay to fall ill sometimes and taking care of yourself is priority. I know the feeling right now sucks and it will be a long road, but we’re here for you! Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back