• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Purity, abusers and religious faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure where to put this.

I have a question related to purity and cleanliness, and to Christianity (although other religions feature similar ideas).
I´d appreciate input from Christians specially or those who were brought up with it.

When I was small I always felt "contaminated" by the sins of my mother and dad, who were living an awful life. Contaminated due to their abuse, since I could not defend myself from them.

I´ve since changed a good deal and restored much of that innocence that I lost back then. However this society we live in, I perceive it as impure. People here worship materialism and nonsense.

There are people who retreat from society altogether and go live in monasteries or even caves. The idea is that the clutter and noise of society then disappears and you can truly listen to God.

The life in a cave does not appeal to me, and I do not think I want to spend my entire life in a monastery. However I hate going outside, even leaving my house, due to the clutter (and impurity) that I perceive outside of my house.

I feel like it would "contaminate" me and I´d be unable to retain that sense of innocence.
Maybe that sounds nuts but I would appreciate your thoughts.

I would have a longer answer...

But tldr that very idea purity is a real concept - unlike living a honorable life - and that wealth equals or gives automatically rise to impurity?

They may be ideas / core beliefs worth challenging. ;)

IME any sort of essentialism messes with minds after time. Life's a fluid creature, and people are complex. Not meant to be shuffled to dualities. Dualities cut off so much beauty and don't really clear the mud they aim to, either.

And, precisely...

You hate even going outside.
You wear hardcore survivalist masks in a situation that -isn't- chemical infestation / requiring of them as a necessary protection.

You hate yourself for things your abusive parents did. As if it were fact and law.

Buddy, I live by some hardcore ritual purity rules...

But these forcing a man to hate life are bullshit on all round.

And that I can very informed say the religious purity ones never meant to bring on.

The spirit of those rules / laws was, originally, so people stay alive longer, are healthier, happy among plague & war & genocide, and love each other.

And...

A priest isn't in where you live.
But about how.
And about what you try for, when you can't.

tldr that very idea purity is a real concept - unlike living a honorable life - and that wealth equals or gives automatically rise to impurity?

Please clarify that, as I did not say that wealth equals impurity. If we are speaking about money, then buying crap just for the sake of buying crap, yes I do think that that is impure. It´s the thought/motivation behind the purchase that counts, not "having money".

You hate yourself for things your abusive parents did.

You would be extremely mistaken. I don´t hate myself at all.

You wear hardcore survivalist masks in a situation that -isn't- chemical infestation / requiring of them as a necessary protection

Not sure that a simple pollution mask is hardcore - after all it is not a gas mask - but I wear those things in traffic, like any other sane person would. We seem to have deviated into a discussion about the details.

Does the hustle and bustle of the outside world have to be impure? Isn't God in all things? Isn't finding God in the busy places filled with people just as important as finding him in stillness?

Yeah I think God is in all those things too. It´s the behavior of people and their choices that I have a problem with.

My apologies Ronin if I come across as defensive. It´s just there is a couple of assumptions in what you wrote that I cannot relate with...

The mask thing would definitely be related to my issues around purity, but how is it wrong to not breathe in noxious gas?
I know quite a few people who wear them in urban areas. I always wonder at people who say that it will not kill me right away, so why care.

Last edited:
It was more the point not the concretes I reacted to, honestly.

If it limits your life & hurts you? I question how adhering to that is both pure, and worth it.

And then there is the whole personal lair of pure I just disagree with...

Some of the purest moments of my life were in blood & gutter & mud & the worst of it.

It´s the behavior of people and their choices that I have a problem with.
So one of the best stories in the Decameron concerns a Jew who is thinking of converting to Catholicism, and decides to go to Avignon to see the Pope and Holy See first hand. His Catholic friends do everything they can to prevent him from going, because they know that once he sees the extreme sinfulness and debasement that the Church has become, he will be disgusted and will never convert and will never be saved.

He leaves anyway, and returns some months later and asks to be baptized immediately. His friends ask in amazement if he didn't find Avignon a horrible place filled with the worst kinds of people, committing every kind of sin. He said that it was even worse than they described - but if ordinary people can be led by such reprobates and still believe, then that certainly must be the one true faith.

Obviously a very problematic story for this day and age, but maybe it addresses your problem.

I agree that mud and blood can be pure. It depends on the context.

I will give you a completely unrelated example: there is a trend online these days of deliberately purchasing the "worst product" (of anything) on amazon, "unboxing" it and then proceeding to destroy it on camera and throw it away. To me that´s depraved.

There are tons of things like this and it´s not like I am a saint or haven´t ever made choices that were stupid/ridiculous. But I don´t want to have the same mentality that a lot of people around me seem to have, that wasting your money and your life is a cool thing to do, and that there is sacredness in nothing, not even in yourself.

In fact I hate this attitude. I wish I could be far away from it. Far, far away.
It makes me feel messed up to live among people who do that.

@somerandomguy : food for thought! thanks

there is a trend online these days of deliberately purchasing the "worst product" (of anything) on amazon, "unboxing" it and then proceeding to destroy it on camera and throw it away. To me that´s depraved.
There are something like five thousand videos posted to YouTube every minute. A few will be horrible in the way you describe. But many more will not be.

People are people. Even the ones who are the most horrible, even if they are the President of the United States, do not cancel out the ones who are decent or better. That's not how humanity works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back