1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Pushing religion in all the wrong places

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Fadeaway, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

I understand that Christians need to share thier beliefs, but there is a time and place. It is causing me a lot of distress. It is bleeding into areas of my life that should be safe from that.

It is not just here that I have this issue, but it seems like there is a lot of off topic religious pushing going on right now. Start a new thread if you need to , but please respect the fact that many of us have religious trauma.

I was a christian for 26 years so I get both sides of the debate, but I will never go back.

My reason for this thread is that I feel very disempowered as a woman right now and it is due religious pushing in various venues and need to feel like I am doing something about it.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member

Lots of us have had really bad experiences with religion. You're not alone.

4. Florian7051

Florian7051 Well-Known Member

Can I say that I am a Christian. I was baptized Lutheran but raised in an atheist home. My mother was Lutheran/my father was atheist. It wasn't until I found myself in the streets of Babylon (Baghdad) that I really came to understand God. I was Catholic by choice for several years but now follow my wife's denomination, Presbyterian. I was even re-baptized in the frigid waters of Lake Clark in Alaska. All this said I don't push my religion on anyone. I also believe there is a time and place for religion (and you have to meet people where they're at) people don't come here to find spiritual healing, they come hear to find piece of mind (and to know they're not alone) they come here to hear their voice, they come hear to have a sounding board, they come hear to bounce ideas off a fellow peer, they come hear for peer advice; this is not the place to push religion. I may have mentioned that I was religious in a thread or two for the sake of explaining why I went somewhere like church, or my retreat to Alaska, but it ended there; I never pushed it on anyone else. I hope mentioning it when it is appropriate in the context of the conversation is acceptable???

Like: "...I went to see my kids church play and got anxious being around all the people..."
    "...I went to a marriage retreat last week; it wasn't clinical it was faith based..."
    "...One of my friends from church said..."

and then leave it at that.

I hope this is OK???

Because I do this sometimes; I am guilty of this. But I never go deeper than this. I don't think you are referring to me as you would have to have some pretty thin skin to let this bother you, but part of having PTSD is being fragile, and if this is offensive I will do my due diligence to even leave this stuff at home.

5. somerandomguy

Not the thread starter, but I would personally think all of the examples you used would be totally acceptable. Church and religion is an important part of some people's lives. It's just inappropriate to "witness" in someone else's thread is what I think.

ladee, Zoogal and Fadeaway like this.
  6. Florian7051

I almost hit the "Reply" button lol... that quotes your entire post... I got in trouble the other day for doing that... lol

Anyway, I kind of figured this would be acceptable too, I just want to make sure I'm not part of the problem, and not making anyone uncomfortable. I'm here to make this a friendly place for everyone.

Ronin and Fadeaway like this.
  7. somerandomguy

It's happened to all of us ... :laugh:

Zoogal and Fadeaway like this.
  8. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

I think the responses in this thread are what the OP is trying to avoid. That’s my take anyway.

9. Still Standing

Still Standing Well-Known Member

I have not read many posts on someone pushing their religion on anyone. I have read where their faith influences how they live their lives and how much it has given them strength to go on. I have shared this a few times, myself. Faith is part of my history, my survival, my hope in this struggle. It is me. If I have to be so aware of not sharing something that is important to my recovery, on an open forum, then I am forced to not be open and forthcoming on how I cope. So many are influenced by spirituality whether good or bad, here. If someone is saying something I don't agree with or seems to be pounding their own drums about their particular form of faith, I simply ignore it or don't read their posts. If we all complained about how certain subjects trigger us we would have no forum. My opinion is that we are responsible for monitoring ourselves. All of us have different triggers. I, for one, have a difficult time with those who share in very detailed manner concerning sexual assaults. These posts, I bypass as soon as I realize the specifics are going to be graphic so I don't get triggered. But, I would never not want them to share what they feel they need to say. And as far as religion goes, no matter what someone says, someone will always take offense to it and interpret it as "preaching" because this is the attitude society has taken toward it. I know religion has hurt some, I have been hurt by it too. But I have also been hurt in general life and in other groups, I have belonged to. Religion is not the only group that has cause trauma for some. So, I am not for inhibiting any specific group from being discussed or shared here. This is my opinion and I mean no offense by it...just simply sharing my thoughts on the matter.

10. Florian7051

Well the subject is religion. If the only people that can post here are the people who bash it, than it's not really an open discussion for both sides. It's just a one sided rant. I thought my post was very respectful and even trying to find understanding as to not make other threads uncomfortable.

Zoogal and LuckiLee like this.
  11. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

First, I want to stress it isn't just this forum. It is more of an issue in my personal life and this morning there was an incident where I felt threatened because they used the same tactics from my childhood.

There are two threads on here that I am thinking of. It was off topic and interfered with the conversation.

@EveHarrington I appreciate your coming to my defense, the examples aren't the issue. It is when people make cut and dry statement s that thier way is the only way.

mumstheword, somerandomguy and Ronin like this.
  12. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Well you can’t change other people, you can only change yourself, right?

I think this could be an issue with any topic...Nowadays people push politics, too, and since politics are now sexual, so my only real choice is to check out and make a joke about being a bad American so that I don’t respond by snapping the other person like a twig....right? It just really sucks that the triggering nature of these topics oftentimes makes us look like we are the problem.

Fadeaway likes this.
  13. joeylittle

joeylittle ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ All howl, no bite Administrator Generous $250+

Weighing in as Admin: Forum policy isn’t up for debate.

(@Fadeaway - you were clear in your OP, that you didn’t start the thread to discuss forum matters - you’ve done nothing wrong, here. If you want to re-launch the thread, please do so - just copy/paste your OP to a new thread)

Regarding forum policy on the topic of religion:

Sharing personal context is always fine. Any member can write about what they believe/do not believe as part of their experience.

Proselytizing is not OK, i.e. -
    • Telling non-believers that they should believe
    • Trying to convince others that there is such a thing as ‘one true faith’
    • Imposing one’s own beliefs when it is clear they are not shared
    • Retorting with dogma or religious text where it is clearly off-topic
    Those posting behaviors don’t belong, here.

The forum depends on mutual respect. Respect does not require agreement. Respect requires acceptance of disagreement, when the topic is subjective.

As far as MyPTSD is concerned, all religious and political viewpoints are subjective. They are opinions here - not facts.

Facts are objective. There is a true and a false.

If this were a Christian forum (for example), the existence of god would be a fact.

MyPTSD is not a Christian forum, nor atheist forum, nor liberal nor conservative, pagan nor moderate...all of these things are merely subjective, here.

The objective belief at MyPTSD is this: PTSD/C-PTSD are real and impact us all in one way or another. That’s it.

If a member has opinions you don’t like, or are bothered by - you’re free to disagree or ignore.

But understand, this site is not a platform to actively impose subjective religious (or political) beliefs onto others.

Staff will intervene when they observe such behavior, and members will be given a chance to back off. If they don’t respect staff instruction, there will be the usual consequences (thread-banning, temp bans, permanent bans where necessary).

I’m locking this thread. @Fadeaway, you are welcome to open the topic again, and staff will steer the discussion away from forum policy.

Any questions, please open a help ticket - I’m happy to address any desire for clarity around the issue.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    anthony, Fadeaway, MyWillow and 3 others like this.