• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Question about interviewing a new therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlesoul

New Here
I know I’m supposed to be interviewing a new therapist but I’m not sure what to ask at our first session. What questions do you ask a new therapist to see if they’re a good fit for you?

I apologize if this has been discussed before! I could not see anything

I didn’t interview, what happened for me is originally he was hired by me to work with my nonverbal autistic daughter, so by chance because i sat in on her appointments I got to see how he worked with her. After about a year I asked him about his history of specific aspects of trauma and he was familiar, had experience. He cautioned though that we had to end her therapy and by then she was good so was discharged and I signed on. I’ve been with him for a very long time. If i had to interview I’d ask about my particular trauma, what the options were that he worked best in. given he has a huge background, he uses a go with the flow approach where it is client led, but also no plan it is whatever shows up in the appointment. As we progressed I’ve asked for things and they were readily given. That was particular to my type of trauma, given I was told how to be, how to live, what to do, what was acceptable, so his approach to not put demands on me to let me learn to ask for help, understand choice, understand what it means to ask for help and be given it no questions asked, to take the lead in my life, well its been slow but wonderful method for me.

I got lucky with my T and didn't interview. But now I know more I think you're totally right to interview.
If I were looking for a new T, I would ask:
What modalities do they use?
How do they work?
How do they work with the issues I am bringing?

Whilst I didn't interview, I knew who I wanted to be my T. I chose her carefully based on my criteria at the time: gender, sexuality, whether I felt she was kind from her photo, whether I felt I could open up to her, whether I felt she would understand me (so mainly all these relational aspects, which still play a massive part for me).

What are you looking for in a T? Because your questions are prob in that.

i'm glad you posted this, littlesoul. thank you. i started psychotherapy in 1972 and still haven't figured out how to or even if to take this logical step. my personal approach might be called, "luck of the draw." i drew names/acronyms out of the proverbial hat and took my chances. if the first (second, third, etc.) appointment went well, i scheduled another. i never gave notice when i decided to move on to another therapist. none of my therapists ever questioned my disappearance.

i've wondered more than once if there was a better way. just wondering. . .

I got lucky with my T and didn't interview. But now I know more I think you're totally right to interview.
I didn't interview either. Matter of fact I would have had no idea what I was interviewing for.

However, what I would be looking for is a personal connection. Someone who wants to connect with you. I think that connection is important. Clean and clinical is what some want but I need other support too. I guess that means I would make sure the T isn't uncomfortable with the difficult parts of where you will need to go to get better. I would also get a clear indication that they would stick their hand up if they get in over their head and would help you find the right help and not abandon you.

I know I’m supposed to be interviewing a new therapist but I’m not sure what to ask at our first session. What questions do you ask a new therapist to see if they’re a good fit for you?

I apologize if this has been discussed before! I could not see anything
Hi, I would say the most important thing is how you feel with a therapist. If you feel comfortable with them and that you can tell them anything, that's a great start. I'd also ask which organisation they are accredited with - BACP, BABCP, UKCP, HPC etc This proves that they are ethically bound and there is a safety net should you feel they behave unethically. Lastly, I'd ask what approach they use, is it psychotherapy, CBT, etc - depending on your issue, some approaches work better.
I hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back