• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Questions about emdr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumors

MyPTSD Pro
Working on some stuff with emdr. My struggle is that I was very, very little when this stuff happened, like 4, and my communication skills were limited then. When we do emdr and my therapist asks me what is coming up, I have nothing...no words...it is almost like someone took all my verbal skills away. Is that normal? Does it change? I feel like I am failing in therapy. I can't get over the hump in certain areas. I have been there a long time... I don't share easily. It's like the words aren't there and if they are there I am afraid to say them. Lots of shame.
Happy thanksgiving to everyone.

I sometimes tell my T that I can’t talk about it or that I don’t want to. She says, “that’s okay, you don’t have to”

You have to say enough to clue them in on the scene at the beginning

I was 4 when my stuff started, im not doing EMDR but i have the same issue in T that i have no words for it, read somewhere that before the age of 10 this stuff is stored as emotions and not words that maybe the problem, i havent yet found a way around it.

I sometimes tell my T that I can’t talk about it or that I don’t want to. She says, “that’s o...
Yes but after I do a set of eye movement my therapist always asks inbetween each set what I am feeling or if anything has changed or what's come up. I can't readily verbalize the change or what I am feeling bc I can't find the words. Nothing comes out. It's just mixed up feelings with no words. The storyline that brought me to emdr I only have to give just a general "it thought I would die" or "he held me down" kind of thing. No specifics but once we start I am left inaudible... Plus I don't share well anyway...

It's pretty normal. The part of you bran that controls language can shut down during trauma and emdr can activate it. I'll be talking along and then I'm all...and blah blah blah. It's my signal that I lose my words

Sometimes all I can do is look at the floor. I am exhausted with saying "I don't know" and I am afraid my therapist is sick of me saying that. On one occasion, t actually said, "you probably are going to say I don't know but..." I knew that I say it a lot but it literally is bc I. Have. No. Words. It's not because I want to drag this shit out. Trust me, I am fully aware that I am completely screwed up and I would like to have some semblance of normalcy before I die and preferably while my kid is young. I just wish it were easier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back