• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Questions About PTSD Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenya

New Here
Hi everybody - this is my first post on this forum but I have a few questions that I can't seem to find any answers to.

I experienced trauma two and a half years ago while studying abroad. At the time, I was determined to stick it out and finish the program. However, after overwhelming feelings of loneliness, isolation, and after seeing my attacker again on the street near where I lived, I made the decision to return home. Once I got home and established a routine, everything pretty much returned to normal. I was still afraid to be by myself out at night, but over time, that fear lessened. I even went back to the city of my attack, at the urging of the police, and helped identify the attacker, who is now in jail.

Ten days ago, I arrived back in Europe (different city, same general region) for a graduate program. I assumed that I was over what had happened because I had been back, I had faced the guy, etc. However, it has hit me like a blow in the stomach - the same feelings of isolation, misery, fear, anxiety - and I'm not sure what to do. I spoke to the school psychologist, and all she said was that it sounded like PTSD and that I was very brave for coming back. Not entirely helpful.

I have been debating this in my mind nonstop for the past ten days, and also speaking to some family and friends about it. One of my friends has expressed the opinion that if I don't stay, I'll never get over it. I tend to feel like it might be better to withdraw from the program, return home to a safe environment, and deal with it there. I'm afraid that I won't be able to focus on my schoolwork, something I am already noticing, and I don't want to spend the year living in constant fear.

I would really appreciate any advice. I am really leaning towards withdrawing from the program and returning home. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest that you not only stay here with us to get help and support from this community here, but since we here online are a group who either have PTSD, or are carers of loved-ones with PTSD, I would also suggest that you seek help from your school mental health office tomorrow morning--a trained professional--who can help you deal with the pain you feel now, in person. You may be able to continue school with the assistance that the mental health office can provide now, or even a psychologist or social worker or counselor, and stay in school just fine this semester, but it sounds like you need help now. Don't wait.
Even if you decide to come back home, take care of your mental health. You did nothing wrong! You just need to heal, with the help of a professional. This website is a great resource too. There is a lot to read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back