• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Questions about River Oaks residential treatment program

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah123

New Here
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and rarely post to discussion threads. I've been in a pretty rough place recently (flashbacks, insomnia, panic attacks, etc), and my therapist has recommended the trauma program at River Oaks in New Orleans. I'm trying to decide between that and something that seems a bit more holistic. If any of y'all of been to River oaks before I would love to hear about your experiences. Specifically, wondering about the following:

1.) I'm a little perturbed by the fact that there are barely any pictures of the inside of the facility on the website. If anyone could tell me in a bit more detail what the trauma unit and the rooms are like, that would be great. What are are the facilities like? How much does it feel like you're in a hospital (ie: cinderblock ceilings and too much air-conditioning type setting)? What are the ground like and how much time do you get to spend in them? I'm a very outdoorsy person (typically go hiking 2-3 times a week), and the thought of being confined within a sterile, institution-like setting for an extended period of time makes me feel like ripping my hair out!
2.) In addition to trauma (which is my primary issue), I also believe I have a chemical dependency on vyvanse (a stimulant akin to adderall). I was prescribed it when I was 15 for adhd (a diagnosis which I am now skeptical of, as a lot of my "distraction" in school stemmed from traumatic things going on at home), and have been on it ever since. I don't believe i am addicted, but I would really like to get off, but have been having a hard time doing so by myself as I think the stimulating effects are making my ptsd worse. How much could river oaks help with medication detox or withdrawal, even though I would primarily be there for trauma? what's their medication management system like in general?
2.) I know the program involves a lot of small group work. How many people are in a group?
3.) what does an average day look like?

Thanks so much!
Tagging a couple folks whom I've seen posting about RO in other threads
@FauxLiz
@Blondie2544
@spottedzebra
@Cannottakethis
@ThePhoenix
@bluestar

I don’t know if you’ve gone anywhere yet, but I’m just seeing this so in case you’re still looking...

1.) There are no pictures because it is a psychiatric hospital, not a residential treatment center. And it looks like one. You are locked in. You have to ask to be let in your room (they lock it during group), ask to use the kitchen or laundry room, etc. It’s an old building and far from luxurious. You don’t get much outdoor time. How much you get depends on the tech or nurse you are begging for outdoor time from, and how much you harass them about it. Rooms have two beds and share a bathroom with the room next door, much like a college dorm.

2.) They should be able to help you get off meds, but I can’t say for sure. I recommend asking the intake coordinator.

2.) Group size depends entirely on how many people are in the program. When I first got there, there were 10-12 of us. When I left, there were 5 (I was there over the holidays, so census was low). I believe the program can technically hold 22 patients, but I have no idea what the typical census is.

3.) There are 4-5 groups/day (not including goals group). You have therapy every day (M-F) and see the psychiatrist daily (M-F plus weekends if needed). There are 2 groups plus ceramics on Sat & Sun. You’ll spend the vast majority of off time doing journaling and homework for therapy and groups.

Now that I’ve probably scared you... it is all worth it. The program is amazing. The therapists are amazing. Most of the techs and nurses are amazing. If you can look past the shitty facilities and restrictive psychiatric hospital setting, you will achieve more in a month there than you have in years of outpatient treatment.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back