• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Quitting Smoking (At Least Trying) Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 93

I am on my last evening of smoking I hope. I decided a few days ago I was ready to give it a go. I want to do it when the withdrawals off of Xanax are still fresh in my head. And I think 2 months off Xanax is long enough of a delay so I don't lose my mind.

I have tried patches before and failed, but am going cold turkey this time. Hope it helps. Patches seemed to tease me.

Any helpful advice? I plan on walking more to help curb and well, since I am going to make fudge brownies and blueberry muffins tonight to have on hand tomorrow so I will need the extra walking! Have babysitting lined up for a week and a half so I am not driven crazy or bark at the wrong person (like the kids), I am normally nasty quitting.

Plan to brush my teethe a lot, use perfume and have good smells in the house. Throwing out all smoking paraphernalia.

Any other tips that have helped others in quitting?

Wanted to add - How bad is this going to make my PTSD symptoms flare up from those of you who have done both?

You need to replace the habit with something else, something good... not eating. You must find a behaviour to exchange in its place. You will suffer, you will want to smoke, and remember it is mind over matter to achieve this the same as giving up medication.

Don't stress if you fail.... you are still learning how to cope without medication, and maybe your just not ready to give up smoking yet if you do fail. If not, then strap yourself in and get ready for another ride my dear.

Find a positive behaviour though to replace smoking, otherwise your going to eat yourself to death.

Veiled,

I don't sugar coat anything. I say things that people don't like because I just come out and say it like it is. Usually it's because I have been through it and know what it's like. I know that people here don't like me or my direct approach, or my big mouth, but oh well..

Quitting smoking. I tried and fail 7 times. So never give up!!!!!! Keep trying. The 8th time was a charm. I did it cold turkey too. I was a Bitch... I think I could have committed a murder, I had so much anger, rage, and yes anxiety. I was lucky, I lived alone, and the 7 other tenants where I lived at the time stayed away, cause they knew I was quitting.

I exercised a lot.....The times that I really used to LOVE that smoke.....Like with a coffee, sitting at the computer. I would not have the coffee sitting there. I would have it later. After meal time cig. I would do something different. I think a lot of it is changing what you do when you smoke to a completely different thing.

I also went on a diet when I quit. Well not really a diet, I changed eating habits. I included more fresh veggies, and fruits, less junk. I have maintained that habit.

I know someone that quit, and he did it C.T too. He would drink a glass of water every time he wanted a cig. He said he spent a lot of time in the potty room, and less time thinking about cigs.

Ok if you have tried before to quit, then you know how awful it can be. This will test you to the limits, but personally I think you will be able to do it. Why??? Because you came off the Zanax, and I think that was a tough thing to do, so you can handle this.....

I think that your biggest struggle will be with anxiety attacks.....

I give you so much credit.....You are taking on a big challenge. Kick Butt girl....

Many hugs, and congrats for trying one more time......

Wen

Veiled,

Congrats on your decision. It's tough, but can be done.

One of the toughest parts of quitting smoking is that you've got a oral fixation/habit. I've used peppermint candies to help. Whenever I would get the urge to smoke, I'd pop a peppermint. Others use lollypops. Whatever works. And it's better to pop a little candy than to eat a piece of cake. Or if you need to eat-carrot sticks, apples, etc. Oh and another benefit of peppermint candy is that it works as an appetite suppressant. Something in the peppermint oil.

Watch out for the sugar free candy. Too much of it acts as a laxative.

Good luck!
Lisa

I haven't much to add, as many suggestions I used have already been mentioned. Like Lisa I had little sweet candies, also chewing gum, and I began exercising regularly. I personally found the strenuous exercise helped tremendously. In any event, I wish you much success, it is most definitely worth all the hardship and effort!

Well, made the treats last night but no appetite. Doing the candies, but they give me anxiety attacks. Not sure why but candies are good at making me paranoid of choking. Hubs supposed to pick up lollipops so I today so far so good. 3 o clock and cravings are certainly there it is not as bad as the xanax.

Still lots of exercise. Cut off about 10 inches of hair, going to look up locks of love or what ever it is called and see if I can send it to them. Surprised it came out pretty cute and is not near as annoying now, all one length at my shoulders :)

Patience, zero. I am just have the mindset of everyone around me is an idiot. While I know this is not actually the case and it is my lack of smoking, does not change I think people are morons today.

And thanks for the well wishes and advice.

My husband (no PTSD) tried to give up several times.
He gave up with hypnotherapy & of course some willpower.
He had one session & that was it.

He used chewing gum, walking if agitated, and kept reminding himself on the reasons why he was giving up. Then after about 2 - 3 weeks he started saying how wonderful my cooking was, what spices had I started adding - of course nothing had changed but he actually got his taste buds back - and to see that good effect.

Plus after about a month he was sleeping much better & less headaches.

All good stuff to look forward to, hang in there!

Wowee this is VERY brave of you!!! I applaud you and hope to someday soon be able to kick it myself! You go girl!

Patience, zero. I am just have the mindset of everyone around me is an idiot. While I know this is not actually the case and it is my lack of smoking, does not change I think people are morons today.

OMG I'm cracking up here!!!! I think that way too sometimes, and I'm not even quitting smoking! :rofl:

Good luck!!!

m1

hi..i used a product named zyban(bupropion hcl)....and willpower...after a few days on zyban the fags tasted like dogshit,and desire for them nearly stopped...then sticking to a promise to my late father to give up..i fought any urges for a few days and have never touched one since..,.went from over 200 day to 0 in 4 weeks!.....i also went from complete alcoholic with liver sclerosis to completely dry with 1 naltrexone capsule!..makes beer taste like dirty dish water and quashed unbearable urge with one tablet....6 years since last smoke..5 1/2 years completely dry...thank god dad was dead..the shock would have killed him....

Veiled,

Just wanted to say that I hope you are doing ok....Hang in there.

Wen

Thanks, I am trying. I still want to kill people but beyond that I am pretty frigging hunky dorey.

And I am avoiding posting as I cannot behave myself apparently.

Just gimme a stick and I will be fine :stupid: see that would make anyone feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back