• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Recently diagnosed with C-PTSD after years of generalized anxiety, hypervigiliance, depression, and suicidal ideation being treated piecemeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin777

Not Active
Hi, like some previous posters, this is my first mental health support group. I was recently diagnosed with C-PTSD after years of generalized anxiety, hypervigiliance, depression, and suicidal ideation being treated piecemeal. The diagnosis helped me understand a lot more of why I seem so "off" from others' reactions, since a rough childhood, domestic partner violence, and stalking have got me on a hair trigger. Trespassing, boundary crossing, and any hint of bullying are my major triggers.

I'm looking forward to continuing to learn from everyone. It's already such a relief to find so many echoes of my own experience. I thought I was alone.

hello vin. welcome to the forum. sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here.

virtually ALL of my own psychotherapy has been piecemeal. when i had my appointment in 1972, the va was still 20 years away from publishing the first professional article on ptsd. it would be still more years until ptsd became a formal diagnosis. i'm a child sex trafficking survivor and was a shoe-in for the dx when it did become available, but i'm glad i didn't wait around for it. i don't think i would have survived the wait. still, i am grateful for that piecemeal therapy. i believe it exposed me to many, many theories and tools than i have found in the specialized ptsd groups. it kind of blows my mind how fast ptsd became a household acronym.

support groups were the mainstay of that piecemeal therapy. primarily alanon, but i tried whatever groups i could find. my very first therapist was a huge believer in peer support. he described pros, including himself, as reference books which never leave the library. the goal is to get them back on the shelf as quickly as possible. he prefered group therapy and encouraged all of his patients to participate in whatever support groups they can find. fast forward half a century and i am still following his prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back