1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reiki for therapy dog

Discussion in 'Employment, Education & Disability' started by KwanYingirl, Jun 23, 2018.

1. KwanYingirl

KwanYingirl I'm a VIP

For those of you who know me and what a fan of reiki I am, it’s no surprise that I set Annie up for weekly sessions. Fortunately, the reiki master doing it is a student of my reiki master, and she has a special interest in treating animals. Today Annie and I both went for a treatment. At first she was sitting on top of me, but she couldn’t settle, so she took her to a different room while I let three other students practice on me. This is because my reiki master studied in England last fall to learn techniques to use for PTSD sufferers. She’s now certified to teach the skill and I needed some help for me too.

They all intuited that Annie and I share energy and we absorb each other’s anxiety. The woman who works with animals told me to get Annie a puppy for companionship. I am on the waiting list for another Maltepoo. So, she is sick. She’s up all night every night because she’s having trouble breathing. Plus the kidney infection has got to be painful. Both of our sleeping cycle is f*cked up and it’s affecting my ability to work. I am very worried about her.

She responded very well to her reiki session. She had a sound sleep when we got home and was playful when she woke up. It’s really imperative that I try to stay grounded in the here and now instead of my emotional sensitivity that she can’t take right now. I don’t have to pay for her sessions which will be weekly until she improves. We all understand her Addison’s and the damage done by 5 years of prednisone, but if it can help her relax and be able to sleep all night, I’ll be grateful. I know her damage will just continue to waste her away. I just want to do what I can to support her emotionally. It’s the least I can do for my Annie who has always comforted me when I go off the rails.

On a completely different but related subject, it is freaking cold out in Maine today. I turned my heat on. Annie doesn’t like to be cold. She’s usually curled up in my armpit in bed.

Oh, I forgot to add that if your dog has arthritis or allergies or any medical problems, reiki is a helpful complement to traditional Veterinary care. Most reiki masters around here don’t charge for their time. They are people who feel called to the practice. It’s done for cancer patients and all the hospitals around here are very accommodating to them. They feel honored to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
    Ronin and Freida like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

Dogs can handle it, but it isnt recomened for cats. They are too sensitive.

Reiki treats everything the same way, there is no specific treatment for anything. The energy goes where it is needed. A worker may feel called to concentrate on a certian area, but there is no such thing as ptsd specific techniques. It would be a different system being used in combination.

That said, reiki can temporarily make ptsd symptoms worse if you have sessions too close together because things come to the surface too quickly.

KwanYingirl likes this.
  4. KwanYingirl

KwanYingirl I'm a VIP

I haven’t experienced any increase in my PTSD symptoms and I’ve been getting it done for years. Quite the contrary.

whiteraven likes this.
  5. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

I don't know about reiki specifically, but I do energy work with my cats and they love it! I think it's likely a matter of having a clear understanding of the cat's energy field - which is different from, say, a dog - and using the proper techniques (designed just for animals).

Ronin and KwanYingirl like this.
  6. Fadeaway

Reiki is one of many types of energy work. I guess I just get frustrated, while @KwanYingirl describes as reki is not reki in its pure form. It works for you and I couldn't be happier about that, but I have been tasked with job of confronting misrepresentations of reki.

7. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

Interesting. I know a Reiki master that works exclusively at a shelter here. Will have to see what she says about it.

Fadeaway likes this.
  8. Fadeaway

That is awesome they have one there. We could use one. We had a woman who did chakra work but I found out tonight she isnt working here as of this week. I cant really practice here. When I first got here I was suffering from over stimulation. The chakra worker told me to shut down my reiki channels while I am here, because it isnt like I can go home and disconect and destress.

whiteraven likes this.
Show Sidebar