• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Relapse! Disturbing Family News

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk321

New Here
My partner has experienced a relapse after receiving some disturbing family news. During a blackout/flashback (not sure of the correct terms), she took more sleeping pills than she should have. While there was not a CONSCIOUS intent to cause harm, it was a clear warning that there are still deep-seated problems that require treatment. I took her to the hospital because I was concerned, and, well, they deemed her a suicide risk and kept her.

Right now, she's in a gen psych ward at the local behavioral health center on involuntary status. The psychiatrist has added Depakote ER to her current anti-depressants (Cymbalta and Lexapro), and she can take a low dose of Ativan as needed. I'm very concerned though because she seems pretty "doped up" ... sleepy, a bit disoriented, hard time walking, etc. She's been having flashbacks left and right since she was admitted to the unit, seems to be even easier to trigger her than normal.

She's also dissociating a lot, kinda checking out or reverting to that scared little kid deep inside that gets angry and causes problems. (She doesn't have multiple personalities, though.) OK, enough details, I guess. Right now I feel like the situation is doing this to me:hit-boss: :redface:

I'm very committed to her and will continue to support her no matter what, but I want to make sure I stay healthy during this as well.

If anyone has read this long post, thank you. Any insight is welcome.
TK

relapse ...

My partner has acute/chronic PTSD and recently relapsed. She's currently in the hospital and it doesn't look like she's coming home for a while. The more I see, the more I realize how serious her condition is. I just feel so powerless to help her right now when I know she's angry and scared. Sorry for a downer on a Friday ... I just logged on to talk to other folks who have loved ones in similar boats.

TK,

Hang in there! Ups and downs are kinda the norm when dealing with PTSD symptoms. A better day is comin'!!

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. I've been with her since January 06, and I've learned a lot about the condition. We have a great relationship, which makes it a hell of a lot easier when I need to support her. She never continues to amaze me ... how she ultimately bounces back and keeps on going.

Turns out, most of the problems were because of a bad medication mix. Her new doc is trying a differnet combo, and it looks like he's on target. Right now the side effects are hell, :fight:but I can tell she's getting back to herself. She's in the hospital for a little while until they stabilize the meds.

Hi tk

Welcome aboard!

Just recently my hubby was in hosp for the first time so I understand how you may be feeling.

It's not an easy time for us or our partners but if it can help them find new ways to help them manage this, then I believe it is worth it.

Just make sure that while your partner is in there that you use this time to do something for yourself that can help you recharge your batteries.

TK, a lot of spouses eventually work that one out, being that PTSD is more serious than meets the eye. People see a physically healthy person, but the mental aspects are hidden, and they are deadly, have no doubt. I hope all goes well mate with your wife.

Thanks, Anthony... and everyone else who offered support. Happy to say we've found her a psychiatrist who cares and seems to know what he's doing. She's actually being treated FOR PTSD. Still getting used to the meds, but she's doing so much better than before. Now all we need to tackle is that lingering insomnia ...

Be well, everyone.
TK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back