• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Assault Robbery, july 4th

• Thread starter Deleted member 41765
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 41765

I was advised to post a thread despite misgivings regarding what I would be asking of the community, other than support of course. So here we go:

I was home, mid-day, when someone suddenly moved past the open back window I happened to be sitting beside and on into the garage. I froze for a few moments, then leapt to the back door (also open). When he/she came out it was obvious there was a plan to come into the house. I quickly assessed for a weapon -none- got into ready stance (former self-defense instructor) and began yelling my head off. He/She ran. I managed to get a pic out front. I went to chat to thwart a panic attack (thank you @ThatRandom91 @TexCat) while the neighbors called the police.

So. I did everything right. Very little was taken. I had a meltdown anyway.

I've lived in my little place, my pocket of safety for 15+ years. And now I feel angry and violated and...fearful. After a major trauma/loss in Dec. I was *just* getting to the point where I could go out at night again. That's pretty much shot to sh*t.

Thoughts? Advice?

I know I would be feeling the same way. Tho you could have defended yourself, it is still an invasion of your safe place. The one place we should be able to relax and not have to be 'on'....
You can only hope that just as what happened in Dec, you were allowed to get your power back, and move forward, that the same will happen with this situation... but it is your home.... fortunately there was no harm to you physically, but that doesn't change the fact you have had your safe place threatened....

I do have to say, I admire your spirit... I don't know what i would have done... somehow that was instinct for you.... and I am sorry that once more, someone has taken you safety from you.... supporting you and listening....

Based on your description of your response, you reacted in a way showing that you were going to protect yourself. You should be proud to know that after a quick freeze you went with a "fight" reaction. Much safer than the two freezes that I have done in potentially dangerous situations post rape. Hold onto that! Maybe do some more martial arts and kick it up a notch. I am highly impressed that you continue to remain fit as you age gracefully, so a new class would be a piece of cake for you and get your mind back on empowerment. Also, you could get your gentle giant pit bull a furry friend that isn't such a baby.;)

I admire you and know that you will get through this. Your T should be back soon as well! I know she will help you.

Someone broke into my apartment once and went through all of my things. The cops did nothing, because nothing was taken. I felt violated, and frightened for several months. Slept with a knife under my bed too.

You did awesome. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. Take whatever precautions you need to to protect yourself and little home.

Take care...

Thanks all for listening and while I'm sorry this has happened to you as well @She Cat, it helps to hear from someone who's had a similar experience. I am just so frustrated that I can be so good in a crisis and then go completely off-line and fall apart afterward (is this typical?). It probably doesn't help that one of my traumas was a home invasion. It also doesn't help to know that my vicious rescue pit bull was found after the above scenario, cowering in a corner. At least I learned the word "sook".

It is a good idea to maybe refresh my martial arts skills, I thought about it briefly several months ago and then got lost in the ptsd soup...

I would think anyone would fall to pieces after something like that... the adrenalin helped to get you thru the minutes, but when it was over , then everything came rushing back.... possibly this is not going to derail you as you think it will.... of course some stuff about your trauma with home invasion... but you were in 'here and now' and was not triggered when this happened... you took all the correct actions and protected yourself...

I would give myself a few days or how ever long it takes, to get resettled... you will be jumpy and vigilant for awhile... anyone would, even without PTSD.... but hopefully the word is out on the street to not bother going to your place.... you can hang with those thievin' bastards....

And yes, do some refresh training... it will help your self confidence and work off some stress.... you did awesome.... I never could have handled myself as well as you did.... so be kind to yourself and remind yourself you took care of it.... you were not a victim....

@ShikibuZ Yes, all normal feeling after something like this.... Why do you think I slept with a knife under my bed for months???? Took me awhile to feel safe again, but I also did things to prevent it again. Went to my landlord and asked for new locks for my Windows. He bought some that I could have my windows opened a bit(for air) but not opened enough for someone to crawl through. New and better lock on my door. And of course the knife. LOL!!!!!!

It will take awhile, but you will calm down soon. You did awesome......

We, my neighbors and I put locks on the back gates, and a camera was installed on the far end. My back door is already double bolted with shatterproof glass (had that one done years ago). I'll just leave it closed for awhile, an unfortunate strategy as it's summer.

And of course the knife. LOL!!!!!!
Probably more effective than the strategic knitting needles I have in the set of drawers next to the bed! :geek:

This morning I am irrationally angry ( a good thing I suppose ) about what was taken. I want my things back!

When I wrote that I was angry about what was taken, I meant that it seems silly when looking at the big picture. It's definitely rational to be angry about the violation itself, and I'm DEFINITELY angry about that, in addition to being hyper-vigilant and anxious (prefer the anger actually)

Last edited by a moderator:
It still makes us feel violated to know someone took things that belong to us... and yes, the bigger picture, but the fact that you are ok, and are feeling anger... that is a good sign too.... I would be angry... I would let that anger motivate me... happy to hear you have so many safety measures in place..... just going to take time.... it's normal what you are feeling, and sorry it's something you have to deal with at all... but you are doing amazingly well.... gentle hugs if you accept...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back