• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Running The Gauntlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaharaSon

MyPTSD Pro
The following happened while being totally unarmed. That is, unable to defend ourselves what so ever. North Africa. Sahara desert. Extremely hot. 1967. Report of all out war has broken out, Israel against the Arab countries. Reports of extensive violence, with many of my jewish brothers killed where we were. By climbing on top of roofs we could see the city to the east was burning. Extensive rioting and violence. My dad was evacuating people from the desert. Armed convoys formed to get to safe base. Dad last to come in. We missed all convoys. That is to say that we had to solo through a city like Mogadishu to get to safe base. It was very, very much like Somolia (reference Blackhawk Down). We ran the gauntlet through riots and burning city in a Renault! Dad warned us if someone tried to stop us, he could not stop. He placed blankets around our heads to keep us from being injured or killed by projectiles. One evening we said our prayers and raced, I mean raced through this Mogadishu type city. We were truely running solo for our lives through the burning city. We survived the city only to run head on into a "unfriendlies government" army check point. We thought our goose was cooked. Scared sh*tless. As weapons were being held directly on us, this officer took forever going through my dads papers. If they knew who he (my dad) was we may not have made it. We made it to base and lived there for weeks eating K-rations. Eventually flew out on a C-130 to Europe. Its not so hard to understand why I relate to combat veterans so deeply. Been there, done that, repeatedly over 12 years. Shalom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back