• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Self destructive behaviour

I don’t struggle with memory gaps in the present, but I do have significant time gaps in memory historically.

My therapist says that I have parts. I don’t think I do.
Instead, they may experience a sense of confusion, disorientation, or detachment from their experiences without fully understanding why.

For example, an individual with dissociative parts may feel sudden and intense fear in a situation that would not typically provoke that response. They may not immediately understand why they are feeling this way and may not connect the fear with a specific part of their psyche that is associated with trauma.
But I do struggle with both of these things.

Is there anything else you would like me to explain or clarify about dissociative parts and their relationship with dissociative symptoms?

But I do struggle with both of these things.
Thank you for sharing that. It's important to remember that everyone's experience is unique, and there is no one-size-fits-all description of dissociative parts or symptoms.

Given what you've shared, it's possible that you may be experiencing dissociative parts or symptoms. It's important to seek professional help from a qualified trauma therapist who can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and develop a personalized treatment plan based on your specific needs.

In therapy, you may explore your emotional states, thoughts, and behaviours to gain a better understanding of any underlying trauma that may be causing your symptoms. Your therapist can help you develop effective coping skills and strategies to manage any dissociative symptoms you may be experiencing.

If you're not currently in therapy, I encourage you to reach out to a mental health provider who specializes in trauma to discuss your concerns and explore treatment options. Remember that it's okay to seek help and take care of yourself.

Is there anything else you would like me to explain or clarify about dissociative parts and their relationship with dissociative symptoms?
Yes, so what I describe as ‘working mode’ - so able to perform relatively well at work (subject to depression) but with minimal traumatic intrusions would be the ANP part?

Yes, so what I describe as ‘working mode’ - so able to perform relatively well at work (subject to depression) but with minimal traumatic intrusions would be the ANP part?
Yes, that's correct. ANP stands for "Apparently Normal Part" or "Apparently Normal Personality." ANPs are dissociative parts that are responsible for coping with the demands of daily life, such as work, social interactions, and carrying out day-to-day responsibilities. ANPs may function relatively well, but they may also struggle with depression and other mood-related symptoms.

During periods of high stress, for example, following exposure to a traumatic event or stress, an ANP may switch out, allowing another dissociative part, the Emotional Part (EP), to take over. The EP may experience overwhelming emotions, flashbacks, and other symptoms associated with trauma.

In therapy, the therapist may work with the ANP to develop coping strategies and skills to help them manage their symptoms and prevent a switch to the EP. The therapist may also work with the EP to help them process and heal from the trauma that is causing their symptoms.

It's important to note that the ANP and EP model is just one way of conceptualizing dissociation and dissociative parts. Dissociation is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon, and there are different theories and models that seek to explain it. Your therapist can help you understand your dissociative symptoms and develop an individualized treatment plan that addresses your unique needs.

It's important to note that the ANP and EP model is just one way of conceptualizing dissociation and dissociative parts. Dissociation is a complex and multifaceted phenomenon, and there are different theories and models that seek to explain it.
Can you give me an overview of what those alternative models are?

Can you give me an overview of what those alternative models are?
Sure! There are several alternative models of dissociation that have been proposed by researchers and clinicians over the years. These models include:

1. The Structural Dissociation Model: This model proposes that dissociation occurs because of a division in the personality between a childlike, emotional part and an adult-like, action-oriented part. This division occurs as a result of early trauma, and the two parts are thought to be dissociatively separated in the mind.

2. The Window of Tolerance Model: This model suggests that trauma can disrupt an individual's ability to regulate their emotions, leading to an "over-arousal" state (such as anxiety or anger) or an "under-arousal" state (such as disengagement or dissociation). This model emphasizes the importance of helping individuals stay within a "window of tolerance" that allows them to manage their emotions effectively.

3. The Theory of Structural Dissociation of the Personality and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization by Nijenhuis and Van der Hart: This theory talks about how the mind could create dissociative parts in response to traumatic experiences. It suggests that some dissociative parts are ego states that protect the body, whereas others are dissociative parts in which traumatic experiences are encapsulated and are unable to integrate into the whole personality.

4. The Polyvagal Theory: This theory focuses on the role of the nervous system in regulating emotional responses to trauma. It suggests that there are three levels of the nervous system that are implicated in trauma-related dissociation: the social engagement system, the sympathetic nervous system, and the parasympathetic nervous system. According to this theory, trauma can cause dysregulation in these systems, leading to dissociative symptoms.

It's important to note that each of these models has its own strengths and limitations. Your therapist or mental health provider can help you understand which model may be most applicable to your experiences and develop a treatment plan based on that understanding.

Why am I so resistant to the idea that I might have parts?
It's common for individuals to feel resistance or hesitation towards accepting the idea that they may have dissociative parts. This resistance can be due to a variety of reasons, which can be explored further with the help of a therapist. Here are some common reasons:

1. Fear of Stigma: Some individuals may worry that being diagnosed with DID or having dissociative parts will make them seem "crazy" or "unstable," and that others may not understand or accept them.

2. Lack of Education: Many individuals are not aware of the prevalence or symptoms of dissociation, especially if they have been experiencing dissociative symptoms for a long time without being diagnosed or receiving adequate information about their experiences.

3. Difficulty in Emotional Regulation: It can be difficult and overwhelming to confront and process difficult emotions and experiences, especially if you have spent most of your life dissociating them. You may feel like your sense of identity or control over your thoughts and feelings will be lost if you acknowledge your dissociative parts.

4. Trauma History: Dissociative symptoms often arise as a result of trauma, which can make it difficult to acknowledge the extent of the emotional and psychological damage you may have experienced.

It's important to remember that experiencing dissociative symptoms, including having dissociative parts, is a common response to trauma, and seeking treatment can help you understand and cope with these experiences in a healthy way. A therapist who specializes in dissociation can help you explore and work through these feelings of resistance in a supportive and understanding way.

Yeah I think it’s likely all of the above.
It's completely understandable to feel hesitant about accepting the idea of dissociative parts. It takes courage to be willing to explore and understand traumatic experiences that may have resulted in dissociation. It's important to find a therapist who is knowledgeable about dissociation and has experience treating individuals with dissociative symptoms. A therapist can help you understand dissociative parts, and help you develop the skills necessary to regulate emotions and create a cohesive sense of self. Remember that seeking help and support is a positive step towards healing and taking control of your mental health.

I’m still not really understand what apparently healthy parts are? Can you try and explain in more detail, with an example of how they might show/behaviour patterns?

I’m still not really understand what apparently healthy parts are? Can you try and explain in more detail, with an example of how they might show/behaviour patterns?
Certainly! Apparently healthy parts, or ANP, are the parts of an individual that are able to function effectively in everyday life without experiencing significant distress or emotional dysregulation. They may be unaware of other parts, such as those that experience dissociation or trauma-related symptomatology. ANPs often help individuals engage in social activities and everyday routines, and they may not be directly impacted by distressing past events or troubling memories.

Here's an example of how ANPs might show or present behavior patterns:

Let's say an individual has experienced significant trauma in the past, which has caused them to dissociate frequently. The ANP of that individual might appear to be very competent and confident in their professional or academic life, as they have learned to cope with stress through hard work and may have even become very successful. They may also have hobbies, friendships and other social activities that give them a sense of fulfillment and pleasure.

However, when triggered by a memory from their past traumatic experiences, another part of that individual may emerge, such as an "Emotional Part", which feels intense emotions such as fear, sadness, anger, or numbness. Under these circumstances, the ANP may not be aware of this shift, and the individual may have these emotions without understanding why, feeling confused and distressed.

Understanding and working through dissociative symptoms with a therapist can help individuals recognize and communicate with their ANPs and other parts, creating more internal cohesion and self-awareness. This can lead to a reduction in dissociative symptoms and better overall mental health.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back