• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Self destructive behaviour

I don't really understand what healthy parts are? Can you explain this to me like I'm 5, with an example of how they might show/behaviour patterns?

I don't really understand what healthy parts are? Can you explain this to me like I'm 5, with an example of how they might show/behaviour patterns?
Of course, I'll try to explain it in a simple way!

Think of your mind like a house with many rooms. Sometimes one of the rooms in your mind gets really upset or scared because of something that happened to you a long time ago, like maybe you saw something scary or someone was mean to you. When that happens, you might feel really upset or worried, even though nothing bad is happening now.

Healthy parts are the other rooms in your mind that didn't get scared or upset, and are still happy and peaceful. For example, you might have a part of you that really likes going outside to play, or maybe another part of you that loves listening to music. These parts are called healthy parts or ANPs because they don't get upset or scared like the other parts.

So, healthy parts can show behaviour patterns like playing outside with friends, enjoying a movie or TV show, listening to music, or even doing well in school or work. They help you function normally in everyday life without feeling upset or scared like the other parts.

I hope this helps to explain it better. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Can you explain the same thing, but like I’m 20?
Absolutely! In dissociative disorders, individuals can have parts or alter states that contain different thoughts, feelings, and experiences, and they can range from highly traumatized to incredibly healthy. In this context, Apparently Normal Parts (ANPs) represent the parts of the individuals that are not troubled or dissociated and behave in a way that is like the individual's normal functioning.

For example, an individual who has experienced traumatic events might develop different parts over time. One of these parts, maybe "the child part," cares a lot about being liked and accepted by others and is much more prone to intense emotional reactions, like bursts of anger or feeling scared. But the ANP is another part of that same person that functions well in their everyday life. This part manages the individual's responsibilities, like keeping a job, paying bills, or building and keeping social relationships.

The ANPs usually show behaviour patterns that resemble the individual's pre-trauma functioning. They might have professional goals, such as working towards a desired career, being motivated to learn, and engage in social activities like sports and hobbies. They also tend to have less emotional distress or respond less intensely to emotional triggers, making it easier for them to stay focused and engaged.

In summary, ANPs are the parts of an individual's self that usually do not experience emotional dysregulation or distress due to past events. They allow individuals to function day-to-day healthily and productively while other parts are being addressed in therapy.

However, when triggered by a memory from their past traumatic experiences, another part of that individual may emerge, such as an "Emotional Part", which feels intense emotions such as fear, sadness, anger, or numbness. Under these circumstances, the ANP may not be aware of this shift, and the individual may have these emotions without understanding why, feeling confused and distressed.
Can you explain more please

Can you explain more please
Sure, I'd be happy to explain more!

Dissociative disorders like Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) develop in response to severe and repeated traumas. When an individual experiences a traumatic event that overwhelming, they might have difficulty processing the experience and integrating it into their life story. In such cases, they may compartmentalize that part of their experience and dissociate from it.

Over time, these dissociated parts can grow and develop into unique identities or sub-personalities. Each identity or part can have its own set of memories, preferences, emotions, and behaviours. Some of the parts may contain the trauma memories and carry traits of those memories.

The ANPs represent the opposite of the dissociated parts. ANPs are the parts of the individuals that can navigate their daily lives without distress, and they often hold most of the executive functioning. They are the parts the individual uses when working, interacting with friends, and functioning independently in their daily activities.

When individuals undergo stress, such as when they get triggered, and develop intense feelings or sense of danger, another part may emerge, which is an emotional part. This emotional part often carries memories of the traumatic experience and may endanger the ANP's functionality. When that happens, ANPs may become unaware of emotional parts, lose their balance, or have difficulty handling and integrating the emotional experiences of their emotional parts.

Therapy can help individuals with DID or complex dissociative disorders learn to identify the different parts or alters, strengthen the ANP's ability to function, and integrate traumatic experiences. Through therapy, individuals may be able to understand and heal from their traumatic experiences gradually. Is there anything else you would like me to explain?

Can you have parts without having distinct alters (DID)?
When I am an ‘emotional part’ I don’t feel like I am a different person, or that I have a different identity

Can you have parts without having distinct alters (DID)?
When I am an ‘emotional part’ I don’t feel like I am a different person, or that I have a different identity
Yes, it's possible to have parts or different emotional states without having Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). While DID involves the presence of distinct and separate identities or alters, other dissociative disorders like Other Specified Dissociative Disorder (OSDD) and dissociative subtype of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can involve the presence of parts or emotional states that don't feel like separate identities.

Even in DID, not all alters or parts may feel like separate identities or people. They can be differentiated in several ways, such as having different preferences, beliefs, attitudes, emotions, memories, senses of identity, and behavioural patterns. However, they can also be integrated in their cognitive and emotional experiences. Some alters, called "fragments," are less developed and more similar to emotional parts or states.

The experience of being an emotional part can vary from person to person. For some people, being an emotional part might feel like a temporary shift in their emotional state or mood. For others, it can be a more significant shift and have a noticeable impact on their ability to function. The experience may also depend on the level of dissociation present in the individual.

It's also essential to remember that dissociative symptoms exist on a spectrum, and not everyone will experience dissociation in the same way. In some cases, emotional parts can be conceptualized as less developed dissociated identities or states. Whether or not someone has DID, the presence of parts or emotional states can be challenging, and therapy can help individuals learn about their internal experiences and develop coping skills to manage them.

That’s really helpful thank you.

For some people, being an emotional part might feel like a temporary shift in their emotional state or mood
What’s the difference between a mood swing, and being triggered into an ‘emotional part’, or are they essentially the same thing?

What’s the difference between a mood swing, and being triggered into an ‘emotional part’, or are they essentially the same thing?
Mood swings and being triggered into an "emotional part" may seem similar, but there are some differences between them.

Mood swings are a common experience and can happen to most people. They involve a sudden and rapid shift in an individual's mood, emotions, or affect. For example, a person may feel happy one minute and sad the next. Mood swings can be caused by a variety of factors, such as hormonal changes, stress, lack of sleep, or medication side-effects.

On the other hand, being triggered into an "emotional part" often happens in response to particular stimuli that remind the individual of their traumatic experience. For example, the sight, sound or smell of something that was present during the trauma or a social interaction that activates a trauma memory can trigger an individual into an "emotional part." It can result in intense and overwhelming emotions, such as fear, anger, sadness, or numbing out of emotions. In some cases, it may also include physical sensations, such as racing heart or sweating.

While mood swings can be unpredictable and may not have a clear cause, being triggered into an "emotional part" often has a specific trigger or set of triggers linked to past traumas. Emotional parts may carry the traumatic experience, and the emotional response may signal the presence of trauma-related symptoms. For individuals with dissociative disorders, emotional parts can also be distinct alters or parts, and they may have additional differences besides mood shifts.

It's essential to note that emotional states or parts can also be affected by external factors, such as poor sleep or stress levels. In most cases, exploring the specific triggers and experiences that led to mood swings or emotional shifts in therapy can help individuals learn more about themselves and develop tools to manage and cope with these shifts.

Is it possible to be clearly triggered by something, but without a very clear memory relating to why that thing might be triggering?

Is it possible to be clearly triggered by something, but without a very clear memory relating to why that thing might be triggering?
Yes, it is possible to be triggered by something without a clear memory or understanding of why that might be triggering.

For people who have experienced trauma, triggers can be any sensory stimuli, situations, or cognitive associations that remind them of the trauma. Triggers can activate an emotional and physiological response that can be overwhelming, even if they do not recall the specific details of the traumatic event itself. This can be especially true if the traumatic event happened in childhood or if it involved repeated or chronic trauma.

Trauma can cause a range of different symptoms, including dissociation, flashbacks, and memory disturbances, which can make it difficult to access and recall specific aspects of the traumatic event. This is especially true in cases where the trauma has been repressed or fragmented and the individual may only have incomplete memories or a sense of disconnected fragments of the event.

In such cases, the triggers are often more related to the unresolved emotions and physical sensations that were felt during the trauma, rather than specific details of the event. This can create a sense of ambiguity or confusion around the nature of the triggers, which can make them more difficult to manage.

It's essential to remember that traumatic experiences can impact people in unique and complex ways, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach to understanding and addressing triggers. However, working with a trained mental health provider who is knowledgeable in trauma-related conditions and who can offer evidence-based treatment, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, can help individuals gain a better understanding of their triggers and develop coping strategies for managing them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back