Self-esteem and ptsd

littlestars

Learning
My self-esteem has been supper affected by having ptsd. Well, also the trauma that caused it. I don’t know how to have self esteem. I don’t know how to get it back. I do things to make myself feel good, but I don’t feel good about how I look. I don’t see what others see. I see all the trauma and pain when I look in the mirror. It’s embarrassing and I feel ashamed. How can I get my self worth back?

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
First off, you didn't get PTSD - someone gave it to you. It was never your fault.

PTSD lies to you. All the time. It makes it easy to be negative. It makes it easy to feel bad.

There are millions of golfers who will never get better because - they expect to shoot a certain score. When they are on track to do better, they screw up and shoot the score they expect. The same for having a bad game, they go home and wonder why the last few holes were so good. All that happened was they told their brain what they wanted and it gave it to them. To get better you need to learn to give yourself permission to shoot a better score.

Give yourself permission to be beautiful. Learn to be proud that you were strong enough to survive. List all the good things about yourself, everything you want to be and read it all the time. It's like internal propaganda. When you believe it you will see your beautiful self, even without a mirror.

littlestars

Learning
First off, you didn't get PTSD - someone gave it to you. It was never your fault.

PTSD lies to you. All the time. It makes it easy to be negative. It makes it easy to feel bad.

There are millions of golfers who will never get better because - they expect to shoot a certain score. When they are on track to do better, they screw up and shoot the score they expect. The same for having a bad game, they go home and wonder why the last few holes were so good. All that happened was they told their brain what they wanted and it gave it to them. To get better you need to learn to give yourself permission to shoot a better score.

Give yourself permission to be beautiful. Learn to be proud that you were strong enough to survive. List all the good things about yourself, everything you want to be and read it all the time. It's like internal propaganda. When you believe it you will see your beautiful self, even without a mirror.
Thank you. Your kind words have brought me to tears - good tears... I hope that we can continue this conversation. I will start by allowing myself to be beautiful. Thank you again.