• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sensitivity to world around me

• Thread starter Deleted member 8714
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 8714

My T and I talked about my ability to sense events before they happen and the emotional dysregulation which accompanies it. She has this too. I've had this since I was quite young.

For instance, I had a dream about 9/11 a month before it occurred. I dreamt that there were foreigners in our country planning something. The dream was more detailed than that. I remember writing the dream down in my journal and thinking it was the oddest dream I'd ever had. Then my emotions started following what I dreamt about. I couldn't help myself from going through all these emotions and yet had know idea why I had them or what they pertained to until a month later and then everything made perfect sense.

I know in advance; sometimes it's a month, sometimes it's a day, and sometimes it's an hour.

One of the most vivid dreams occurred as a child when I predicted a horrible storm in the Midwest where numerous tornadoes did a whole lot of damage and killed people. I told my mother about it and she dissed me, acting like I was crazy. Later on in the week, tornadoes ripped through the Midwest and caused a lot of damage and many people died. My mother watched in horror as the news unfolded in the same eerily fashion as the story I had told her earlier in the week.

My T asked me if I knew something was going to happen like what happened in Las Vegas before it did. The answer is yes. Sometimes the feeling doesn't come through a dream. Instead I'll get this feeling in my gut that something is going to happen. Of course I then start getting agitated about what I'm sensing and have no reason for it at the time. For Las Vegas, I had that feeling for about three days before it happened.

I asked her how you stop doing this. And my T said basically you can't. It's just part of who you are.

I had one of those dreams last night where I know it means something is coming. Yikes! And just like clockwork I'm agitated.

I used to think it was something about myself until events started coinciding with my dreams or gut feelings.

Anybody else have this ability?

I do have this a bit, not quite as pronounced as yours. For me it tends to be only about people I know, and I just get this gut feeling that something is going to happen. I can sometimes get more specifics, but they seem to just come to me, like I will just know it after dissociating or something. I used to think I was just remembering the ones that did happen, and I just happened to guess correctly a lot, but it has happend too many times relatively close to thr even t occuring, It’s hard sometimes because I feel like I should be able to warn them, but I don’t really have anything that could help. I’m not sure which is worse, when it happens with people I am currently close with, since I still have to see them basically waiting for something to happen, or when it is people who I no longer talk to amd want to be emotionally removed from.

I hear in your post that you’d like this to stop, personally I think it’s a gift. Apparently you have the ability to see, feel the future and things coming. I used to be very tuned into my daughter, and just knew when she was in trouble or hurt. Couldn’t explain it, but just knew...

I don't have feelings about future events, but I do know when something is wrong with someone I love and care about. They will be so heavy in my heart.... then I hear from them, or call them as I did with LM... and found out she had breast cancer.
If someone pops into my head I haven't thought about in a long while, I will hear from them within the week.
I used to be much more in tune with this, but since having to take pain meds, it's not as glaring as it once was, it's still there, just not as clear.

My T and I talked about my ability to sense events before they happen and the emotional dysregulation...

Please don't think I am a nut and hear what you want and ignore the rest.

Your ability can be developed more but that may not be what you want. I believe some of us are more "sensitive or in tune" with tapping into events on an energetic level. In some ways I would relate it to someone who experiences seizures (or a lot of various experiences)- sometimes you know before it happens. Some can sense the weather i.e. When it will rain and also on an energetic level of tragic events.

Do you meditate? Sometimes meditation can bring clarity to your "you feeling or sense." That said be strong in your intention and practice "turning it off" so it doesn't get too intense. Always come to any thoughts in a peaceful manner. It is a gift and may get more pronounced over time so some
Meditation may be helpful.

personally I think it’s a gift.
I see it as a gift too. Though the emotional dysregulation which accompanies it is disturbing to me. I guess I don't want to regulate that because it tells me something is going to happen. It's a package deal.:arghh;

I wrote in my trauma diary that I did have a dream/nightmare on the 28 September 2017 which coincides with the feelings starting up. I didn't recognize the dream as connected to the emotions at the time. Now the dream makes even more sense because of the name in it. It's creepy too. I'll have to share it with my T next time I see her.

Please don't think I am a nut
On the contrary, I don't think you're a nut.

I don't think I'll develop it more. I'll just allow and accept the dreams coupled with feelings to stay with me and have the forewarning that something is coming.

The three bruises on my thigh dream was interesting because one of them was not completely formed yet. They were in the process of being formed as I watched them appear.

I told that dream to my T and she immediately said, "Things come in threes."

When I worked in hospice as an RN, I knew when my patients were going to die. And the strange part about it was the patients knew that I knew that and would ask me about it. I was given a 24 hour (to the exact hour, minute, and second) warning that a person would die. It got to be that patients who were ready die asked for me near their time of death. I'd always get scheduled on another nurse's holiday. Though none were informed of my ability before hand. Go figure. My employer didn't even know about my abilities.

I remember the first time it happened. I was feeling all sorts of emotions and my mind was on death. Those feelings started 20 hours before I was going to be on duty. Four hours into my time I felt the woman was going to pass and she did during her bed bath. Her sister told me that bed baths were the patient's favorite thing because of the massages afterward. I was giving the woman a massage when she took her last breath. It was strange too because the nurse who had taken care of her the most told me what to do if she died on my shift. She spent about thirty minutes talking to me. And then she added that she probably wouldn't die that day. So much for that reality.

My forewarning dreams/feelings are always about death.

My abuse was about death; witnessing it many times. Must be the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else have this ability?
I don't know that I'd call it an ability, haha, but, yeah. Sometimes the time lapse between dream and specific event is so short and so bizarre that there's no denying the connection between dream and event. Sometimes the dream is about a car wreck. Well shoot, they happen all the time, so having a dream and constant foreboding is sort of like "predicting" sunrise. While on the topic of dreaming about car wrecks, however, recently I had one of those very vivid dreams. Right down to the color of the car and the passengers. I decided to not allow it to bother my thoughts. I don't want that to "come true." I don't want to be looking for confirmation of the dream. Is it the height of arrogance to think that the event will happen if I keep it in my mind? Lol, it's the height of somethin' that's for sure.

But the very specific dreams that seem to be related to real life, when they happen, I wake up crying and my body grieves all day and I think I'm crazy and then I hear on the radio that in the next town over, the dream happened to people I've never met and the horror that unfolded is just as I dreamed it. Thankfully, that doesn't not happen very often. But it's totally random.

How I know not to get too wrapped up in them: They have consistently been about events as they unfolded and that I in no way could influence. And they're inconsistent. I once ate at a restaurant while sirens around the city screamed. No clue that it was about a plane crash a few miles away.

Some dreams remain so vivid that sometimes I am not sure if they are memories or dreams. I mean, I "know" they are dreams, but they persist like personal memories.

So, for me, I treat my dreaming experience the same as I treat my freckles: They're unique to me, they're an undeniable part of my experience, and I have the freedom to agonize, accept, or deny them. I am grateful that I don't have premonition-type dreams often because they can be deeply disturbing. But that's just my experience. I wish you the best as you find ways to live well with this.

I asked her how you stop doing this. And my T said basically you can't. It's just part of who you are.

I'm like you.

And your T is wrong. You can stop it, and you need to. This is NOT a gift. It is NOT an ability that you want to hone. There are doors in your mind that shouldn't be open. You need to find those doors and close them. NOW. Before you figure out what else you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back