• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Sertraline Initial Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Beth

New Here
My boyfriend was on Zoloft 50mg when we met. Meh was on it for mild panic attacks and mild anxiety. He decided life was going great and despite advice he came off of it. He started it back about a week and half ago. He took two doses of 25mg and jumped straight to 50mg last Tuesday. He was a little distant the latter of last week and the past two days he has completely withdrawn from me. He is going to work and things but he has shut me out. Is this normal? How long will it last? What should I expect as he adjusts. Will he go back to the loving person he was when he was on it when I met him? I’ve never had experience with SSRIs. I am leaving him alone as he has basically requested. Do I just honor that request until he comes back around?

Med changes are rocky… a week and a half is still in the adjustment phase. I’d say at least the first month is hard, sometimes longer. It is very individual though.

He took two doses of 25mg and jumped straight to 50mg last Tuesday. He was a little distant the latter of last week and the past two days he has completely withdrawn from me. He is going to work and things but he has shut me out. Is this normal? How long will it last? What should I expect as he adjusts.
That was a little aggressive on the re-start, but not so much that you'd need to worry. Side effects are likely to be worse than he was expecting, but they'll diminish over time. If he was off the Zoloft for four weeks or more, you can expect it'll take 3-4 weeks for him to reach a steady-state with the med in his system.

It can be useful to remember that meds - when they work - are usually working in conjunction with some other kind of shift in daily habits or thought patterns. So, if he hit a rough patch and thought that just restarting the med would take care of everything...it won't. But it'll ideally improve his outlook well enough for him to then re-engage in the activities and thought patterns that were contributing to his overall sense of well-being.

So, like @Sweetpea76 said - it takes time. It might be useful for you to think about how much radio silence you are comfortable waiting through, before you'd like to reach out and see how he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back