• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Server Tweaks - Open To Report Speed Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony

Founder
I apologise for periods where the server closed briefly for 5 to 10 minutes, as I have needed to make changes where the server needed a full reboot.

I have left this open for members to respond directly for any speed issues. I'm slowly working through the problems, much of it is trial and error as to what works, what causes more issues.

I've just made some recent changes which hopefully cater to user demands better. The problem is that our growth is significant in the scheme of searches for PTSD overall, and our share of the PTSD market. As we grow, as we work behind the scenes to build our market share, which brings more user discussion here to create diversity of discussion and responses for all members, then demands to tweak the server subsequently climb. So do the needed resources.

12 months ago we would have 100 users per minute online during peak periods, 25 to 30 during off-peak. Now we have 50 - 70 per minute off-peak, and 200+ per minute during peak loads. These are real people online on a minute by minute basis, which is what creates the load.

If my recent changes of trial and error over the last 24hrs don't work to what is needed, I will add further CPU and RAM to curb the growth. We got hit with an attack earlier today, and the changes to security in the DNS curbed the issue and blocked the attack within 5 minutes, allowing everything to get back to normal within a 15 minute period... which in the scheme of an attack, is pretty good recovery.

If you experience any performance issues with the site, please note your rough time and day here, the issue, and I can compare it with logs to analyse.

I'm fetching pages absolutely fine, but chat seems to be read-only for me right now. I type my chat message, press enter, the progress thingy appears, but the message doesn't appear in chat. Others might be getting through, but it's hard to tell right now.

EDIT: Leaving the chat page and going back shows that my messages did get there, but they didn't make it back to me. Weird.

EDIT2: Refreshing the page doesn't fix it. But two minutes (seriously, two whole minutes) later, the test message appeared.

I will keep investigating the chat issue tomorrow... bed time for me. There is another chat option similar to what we have, just more advanced, that may serve the growing load better than this one. The current is a simple shoutbox. They're designed for occasional messages, light chat... our chat has surpassed this to the point it is taking a couple of CPU cores just to run the chat, which is ridiculous.

There are other options, but I like simple, as simple has proven the best method for new and existing members to chat effectively.

I will keep investigating tomorrow when there are lots online and see what happens.

Mine, mobile, seems to be still freeze, go, freeze, jittery, words trail on all 3 browsers (android stock browser, chrome, firefox and firefox is unusable as its real bad) not happening on other sites.

On home and work wifi and also on cell provider internet.

It did get better after chat was removed but thought Id throw that out there.

US Eastern, 4pm though its happened all afternoon.

Also the intermt tagging issue is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back