• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Medical Severe anxiety due to surgery, need support

Status
Not open for further replies.

HealingMama

MyPTSD Pro
I am having surgery this Friday to remove a displaced IUD and I am having some pretty serious anxiety despite my Buspar. Had to take a prn. The idea of having to be made unconscious so my doctor whom I have only met once can shove a camera up my vagina is really hard to deal with.

I asked to get anesthesia that allows me to remain conscious. The doctor would rather not but is open to trying that and then putting me to sleep if it doesn't work. She is concerned about reflexive movement interfering with the work.

My brain is catastrophizing. I'm worried about dying and leaving my child without a mother. I'm worried about catching covid. I'm worried about the surgery being more complicated than anticipated, ending up having to have a hysterectomy or other lifelong complication. The doc has only performed this procedure six times in two years.

It's probably going to be fine but not having control is such a big trigger point for me, especially around sexual matters.

Any suggestions for reframing or self care that maybe I haven't heard of or just general advice/reassurance is appreciated.

I don't ever write about this, but my wife had to have a hysterectomy. She has severe anxiety and control issues as well, to the point that she delayed it for actual years until she actually couldn't anymore. But when it was all over she wished she had had it done years before. We sometimes forget that surgeons are highly trained professionals who really know what they're doing.

Your team is extremely qualified to do what they're doing, even if they've only done it a few times, and your surgery is very routine. You will get the best care possible. It will be fine. Keep breathing. Focus on slow, calming breathing.

Everything will be OK.

I don't ever write about this, but my wife had to have a hysterectomy. She has severe anxiety and control issues as well, to the point that she delayed it for actual years until she actually couldn't anymore. But when it was all over she wished she had had it done years before. We sometimes forget that surgeons are highly trained professionals who really know what they're doing.

Your team is extremely qualified to do what they're doing, even if they've only done it a few times, and your surgery is very routine. You will get the best care possible. It will be fine. Keep breathing. Focus on slow, calming breathing.

Everything will be OK.
Thank you so much. You are right. My doctor also said she has a doc on standby to step in if anything more complicated happens. It's so difficult to not even know the extent of what she has to do until she's doing it. But I believe all the bases are covered and thank you for the reminder to breathe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back