1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe heartburn and other awful things

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Hypervigilance' started by Stephernovas, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

1. Stephernovas

Stephernovas Well-Known Member

Lately everyone has been adding on the stress and pushing me hard into what they think I need to be doing. I’ve noticed it for a while now, but the past couple days I’ve woken up with severe heartburn to the point where I think I’m going to vomit lava. My entire body is exhausted, I feel terrible, and I don’t want to eat bc everything turns into reflux. Am I alone in this? Anybody have suggestions? I prefer to stay away from any type of medication if I can help it, but this is getting ridiculous!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Esterio

Esterio Well-Known Member Donated

could be a few different things but I have an hiatus hernia and take medication thats helps
    Esterio

Junebug, blackemerald1 and Swift like this.
  4. Stephernovas

PTSD related? I have never had anything like this until after my accident and developing this anxiety disorder where I’m stressed 24/7

blackemerald1, Swift and Esterio like this.
  5. Esterio

I didn't know what it was until they gave me a gastric scope and found this hernia on my diaphragm that was allowing the acid to come up. That is my experience I have anxiety and depression

Junebug, blackemerald1 and Swift like this.
  6. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Active Member

When my daughter had extreme anxiety /stress at school her reflux became unreal. The doctor put her on prescription nexium for a month. Once school was out and she finished a month of meds things calmed down.

I got GERD from moments of extreme stress and what were probably ptsd symptoms back when I was in my twenties. I took the meds and it finally calmed down when I switched jobs.

They believe that gut health is key to our brain/mental health. Functional doctors may be able to guide you. I would take something to calm stuff, but not do it long term.

I do like these organic chia seed fruit squeeze things. Feels healthy to eat them. Look into apple cider vingegar supplements. Dairy is probably bad, but when I have heartburn it helps me (like a bowl of cereal). Prop your head up while sleeping. No caffeine at night.

LuckiLee, Junebug, Esterio and 2 others like this.
  7. Swift

Swift I'm a VIP

Hey, I get reflux too when I'm really anxious.
    There's over-the-counter stuff, in Aus you can buy antacid chews, tablets or stuff you drink.
    It's not "medication" in the traditional sense because it doesn't interfere with your brain chemistry. It's like rubbing cream on an itch. Works well.
    If you're getting reflux at night, I'd recommend omeprazole. That's the chemical name. Works brilliantly. I think you need a prescription for it, though.

I'm mildly lactose-intolerant, which only bugs me when I'm really stressed.

Do you have access to medical help atm? It's quite possible the reflux is anxiety related, but there's also possibly a physical cause. Physical causes are more easily treated. Also, it can be a sign of something more serious, so it's worth getting checked out.

Be gentle with yourself.

LuckiLee and Esterio like this.
  8. blackemerald1

blackemerald1 I'm a VIP Premium Member

I developed a series of gut and re-flux problems after trauma. I had exploratory surgery bc I could not stop vomiting etc.,
    Turns out I was creating extra and more acidic stuff - stress related.
    So:- Major overhaul of diet and lots of other things...later. I'm sort of ok. But if I become really stressed my gut is the first to let me know.

Junebug and Esterio like this.
  9. Mach123

Mach123 I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

My stomach is dreadful. Not eating is the only thing that works. I have no idea if it's ptsd related I think it's food sensitivities. Although I remember telling the therapist about my arthritis (severe) and she said it was "trauma related" like a "body manifestation?" Not sure, but food is a terrible struggle!

Junebug, blackemerald1 and Esterio like this.
  10. Katiesue

Katiesue Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

I try to stay away from greasy food, caffeine and anything spicy when I'm extra stressed. Have you tried taking some tums?

blackemerald1 likes this.
  11. Stephernovas

I’ve been eating rolaids like candy

blackemerald1 likes this.
  12. Esterio

Organic Apple Cider. Cap full in your first glass of water in the morning is the last thing that worked for me. Then they gave me the top scope found the hernia and gave me a medication (Pantoprazole) that does help the heat burn and I have not be vomiting much any more. I have all kinds of stomach and GI problems that they blame on anxiety, Ptsd and Poisoning by Tylenol in the nineties

Esterio

13. Emotional girl

Emotional girl Active Member

I have lots of stomach problems including acid reflux and it is definitely connected to my mental health and I found it was at its worse just before I started to remember some repressed memories.
    I went to my GP and they gave some medication to suppress the acid and it helped quite a lot.

blackemerald1 and Esterio like this.