• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Should i bother with therapy 42 to 56 years after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Duck

New Here
I'm sorry about the length. This the 1st time I've spoken about this really to anyone. My father responded by asking "why I always ' have to wallow in this'." This was about the 6th time for BP or now CPTSD in over 40 years.

I am 60 yo. I was diagnosed about two months ago with CPTSD by my Psychologist, another she invited in for a consult and my Psychiatrist. They agreed I had enough symptoms to warrant the diagnosis and I've been a bundle of joy ever since. I didn't go there looking for anything like it, but for treatment of my 46 yo BP II and have been seeing both my reg. shrink and Psych about three years, or three times longer than anyone else. My shrink later told me it was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle she didn't know existed or was working on giving, all she was aware of, again, was the BP.

She explained that in reviewing her case files she kept coming across a jumbled mess of out of sequence intrusive violent imagery, short disconnected stories and "humorous" quips" of my time. What she thinks finally cemented it for her was my home layout where I have both my TV and front door about 15° off bore in opposite directions to where I sit when I'm home with my shotgun, in case someone comes through the door so I can protect my GSD.

My question, finally, is whether there is any point in therapy when the trauma is so far removed from today?
Reviewing the symptoms is uncanny in how close they fit and how well they explain problems in both employment and personal relationships. I'd like to pursue it, but there's the 50-year gap. Suggestions appreciated. Oh, the traumatization. Beatings, beatdowns with weaponry, etc. She says I'm counterphobic which helps explain why I kept going back for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your encouragement. I study Penal systems now, including inmates some similar and I can watch them squirm as they put up a false front. While I do the same it's satisfying to see them doing the same.

It definitely affects me today. I'd go so far to say that I'm it. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
by all means, see how far you can make some progress. The length of time from trauma to seeking help really doesn't matter. What matters is if you want to understand 'triggers', have more self management, and heal from the abuse and trauma... You have already been in therapy for three years, which speaks to you not being ok with the way things are.. needing healing changes.. Please let us know what you decide.

This is an awesome place for support and understanding. It won't be easy, but neither had been living all these years with this living inside you and causing problems... Wishing you strength and courage.... hope you join us.

Yes do it. I was in my 40s when I realized I had CSA and in my 50s when it really started to come out. Your asking the question is a hint there is something that needs doing. I'd try it if I were u. I never stopped trying. Sitting with the shotgun is good but what if things could get even better? : )

Hey! I was diagnosed with CPTSD last summer. I am 68. May as well work at having some quality years of mental health and know what it is like to have a clear head before I go senile! :D Why live your life with open wounds when they can be closed up, leaving only a scars behind? I am tired of picking at the scabs of memories and faulty views of life. May as well put some effort into healing and learning how to view and act in life in such a way that I can enjoy a social and family life in a healthy manner. You are young yet. What do you have to lose?

I'm 45 too. I've been.developing recovery practises most of my life.
Therapy came in the form of art therapy modalities and movement arts waaaay before I was well enough and desperate enough for talk therapy though.
I certainly find it beneficial with the right practitioners, whereas the wrong ones only make things worse.
Therapy ain't therapy, if you know wot I mean:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help, and I hope your recovery practises - art therapy and movement arts and now talk therapy really help you. I trust my psychologist and psychiatrist well enough to have stayed with them three years though don't know how they'll be with this. And any talk therapy's going to be interesting since I've I've built up walls on walls on walls, etc. . . .

@D.Duck, the walls may come down faster than you think, since you are ready to address things. And learning that some that we call 'walls' are really healthy self protection... and not really walls..
Wishing you success, appreciate that you reached out and was open minded, and allowed your self to be supported and encouraged. You have the courage to do this.. you just need some direction and purpose with it all.. we are here for you. We understand.

Hi @d duck... I think therapy is important.. And it doesn't matter how long ago....

I think without even realising why we developed ways of dealing with things,... Which might help us or might not... And it's when we investigate our past.. Especially trauma.. That sometimes we realise.. Ahhh that's why I'm like that or that's why I react.. That way....

I've done things that at the time didn't make any sense to me but after therapy.. I know.. I understand....

It's really up to you whether or not you want to do therapy... Good luck with whatever you decide.... I'm so sorry your childhood wasn't the best. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back