1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin scans

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Skywatcher, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Active Member

I have been doing really well at dr appointments lately including my male pcp, female gynecologist and male chiropractor, so when I scheduled a skin scan and mole check, I didn’t think anything of it. Last time I came in I didn’t have ptsd, loved my Dr and she had a female medical student assisting. I figured it would be much the same.

Today, I went in the back with a nurse and was told to change into a gown with undergarments on. I did so. Then a male med student walked into the room alone and closed the door (I thought it would be my dr). Then he introduced himself and took info. I felt a sense of panic and in my head I said, “ask for a female nurse to be present” but I couldn’t speak. Then he gently touched my face as scanning and down my arms. He asked to see the suspicious mole. I had to move the gown to the side to show him under my left breast.

Then he left. I panicked, texted a friend, worked on grounding, breathing. I got really hot in a fast sweat. Then they came in together. During the Doctors examination, I started to feel like an object, I new he was watching. At one point she took down the top of my gown and I was just in my bra. I couldn’t look over at him but felt him looking. Some parts of this were stressors, sure, but the touch, the build and hair color of the med student, the staring and gentle touch were actual triggers. I honestly am really proud of myself for not completely disassociating. The Self talk of comparisons to get me through it.

My question... is it normal for a male med student to take notes and examine you unsupervised? Is there a way without giving too much info to prevent this type of arrangement in the future? (I will say that I admitted to ptsd at my gynecologist this year and her exam was done in a very sensitive almost different way.)

ladee likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. piratelady

piratelady Not Broken Premium Member

I had a doctors appointment last year, a very different type of appointment. I wasn't comfortable with the med student, but for different, non-PTSD related reasons. I simply said that I would prefer to see the doctor and not a med student, without giving any other reasons or justification. They didn't ask why and even notated my chart for future reference. That being said, it's hard to speak up in the moment when anxiety has taken over. Maybe call that doctors office before any future appointments and request to see only your doctor without offering any reasoning? Then you don't have to worry about it in the moment?

ladee and Skywatcher like this.
  4. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

In the US?

Yes & No.

It’s completely normal for med students to f*ck up. They’re students, and learning, and that’s just what they do.

Roughly 2/3s or appointments they can see solo or are sent to start solo. Roughly 1/3 are ones that either require a 2nd person to be present (that’s actually for THEIR protection, more than yours) or require an offer of a same sex person to be present.

So that the student forgot that the location of the mole bumps this 2/3s appointment into a 1/3 appointment? Very normal.

But, no, that’s not how it’s supposed to be.

You could probably get him severely reprimanded &/or kicked out of his program entirely. You have MASSIVE amounts of power in these kinds of mistakes to ruin his life, if you want. I hope you don’t, but that is how seriously this kind of breech is treated.

Conversely, if he didn’t KNOW the location of the mole, until you showed him? Then he did the right thing, in leaving until there could be a second person in the room for your security.

ladee and piratelady like this.
  5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Active Member

I don’t want to ruin his life. I even thought about the way he touched me later in the car. It was the exact same way that my female dermatologist touched me when she scanned my face and arms. I guess he screwed up. I told him where the mole was, I pointed on the gown. He hestitated and then asked to see it. He could have asked to see anywhere on my body and I probably would have complied. :unsure:

I’m mostly mad at myself. I’m sure it was all an innocent mistake, but I just couldn’t speak.

ladee likes this.