1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep!!? Am I Normal?

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by mortiis31, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortiis31

mortiis31 Active Member

Well, the subject line says it all, I guess - Sleep!
    I haven't had any for about nine days now, but that's not unusual, I'm often awake for weeks at a time. I have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Social Phobia AND Depression, is this normal???

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Sleep is a common issue. Well, sleep problems. That is a really long time. Have you tried meds, deep breathing, relaxing music, calm environment, a warm bath, reading all of these things can help to a certain extent and working on your traums "to get them out is very useful and a release. So...yes very normal but that really is a very long time. Take care and try to get some rest.

4. mortiis31

mortiis31 Active Member

Pandora,thank you so much for your words, I understand that what you are saying is true - sleep is now foreign to me, though.

xxx

5. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Have you seen a doctor and told him/her that you have NOT slept for like 9 days in a row. i have gone about 3 with none and then I will crash....never 9...seems like a very long time to me. I can't imagine how sick you must feel. I get dizzy, nauseated..it is awful. I feel for you.

6. mortiis31

mortiis31 Active Member

Yeah, I went two and a half weeks one time, it nearly killed me, Pandora. I cannot afford to go to the doctor, and when I went last time, all he did was prescribe me Zopiclone which did nothing at all!

7. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

I am so sorry that you do not have the proper treatment you deserve. Do you have anyone that could help you find a way to get treatment. i really don't know what else to say....I live in Canada...i guess i take it for granted sometimes. Take Care.

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Mort, the thinking of multiple diagnosis can be daunting. But what you will come to see is everything they add on to PTSD is actually more of a symptom of PTSD. It is having all those conditions combined with your past that get you the PTSD diagnosis.

Look here. [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread1097.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  9. White0nWhite

White0nWhite Member

Back in High School (when I was with my crazy abusive ex-girlfriend/friend/-mistake-) that I hardly slept. I'd sleep in class off and on, thats it. It's alright, I still suffer from insomnia to this day. It seems to be a pretty common thing with PTSD. My insomnia is often because of nightmares, afraid to go to sleep because I know I may have them.
    I'll use the time I can't sleep to draw, write, or read a book I enjoy. And it often helps me relax, because I'm doing something that makes me feel safe. And then I can get some sleep.

I take diazepam (I 'should' be taking 5mgs twice a day, but I only take it when I really REALLY need it) and I take it before I go to bed. It's supposed to stop nightmares. It often doesn't always work 100%. But it's a lot better then it used to be. It's a relatively cheap medication too. I detest meds with all my heart. But it's the ONLY thing I'll touch, period.

Good luck with getting some sleep. *hug*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar