• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sleep talking, child like state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomm

New Here
Hello I just entered this forum and I would like to ask question of sleep talking.

I am 23 years old male, I have been diagnosed stress dissorder before, and other dissorders. I also live with depersonalization dissorder.

I have had many problems due to sleep because of ptsd, nightmares and etc.

I talk every night in my sleep. I sometimes scream too. I have figured out that this has to do with my ptsd. I often see nightmares, of past events.
Currently I am not seeing a therapist, but I am going to do so in near future. I was in therapy for 2 years and I faced abuse from that person, so that is the reason I am not currently in therapy. I have self diagnosed Ptsd/cptsd, according to my symptoms and tests that I did, while I was seeing a therapist. I have also have tought the possibility of having some degree more serious dissocative dissorder like dissocative identety dissorder, but this is just a tought.

So the problem:

My sleep talking happens at the ends of REM phases of sleep.

At good nights I talk/scream just only once, when it's almost time for me to wake up.

But in the bad nights when I usually feel more stress in evening before going to bed, I usually wake up as a result of my sleep talking/screaming in every two hours, this can happen as much as 4 times in one night.

I usually wake up when someone of my neighbours screams towards me (tho they do this lot less now) or they bang the walls.

I feel exhausted, ashamed and embarrased for this. Not only that I may have woken them up, but for the fact I see these dreams where I am not adult but a child, doing child stuff, like 5 years old and I yell stuff that 5 years old would yell and it just feels so embarrasing.

I feel somewhat violated every time it happens. I'm 23 not 5 years old and the shame is just unbearable. I see also dreams and talk during sleep where I am as old as I am now, or little younger. Then there are those dreams that I just feel they are so strange. I feel they don't belong to me, this is one reason for my tought of maybe having did dissorder, as well as those dreams where I feel and act as a child.

So if anyone has some good tips of how to not talk/yell due to sleep,/ways of reducing this, Id be pleased to hear them.

Is there any way of prevent sleep talking? Non-medically, or is there some non medical sleep aid that would help?

Hello I just entered this forum and I would like to ask question of sleep talking.

I am 23 years old male, I have been diagnosed stress dissorder before, and other dissorders. I also live with depersonalization dissorder.

I have had many problems due to sleep because of ptsd, nightmares and etc.

I talk every night in my sleep. I sometimes scream too. I have figured out that this has to do with my ptsd. I often see nightmares, of past events.
Currently I am not seeing a therapist, but I am going to do so in near future. I was in therapy for 2 years and I faced abuse from that person, so that is the reason I am not currently in therapy. I have self diagnosed Ptsd/cptsd, according to my symptoms and tests that I did, while I was seeing a therapist. I have also have tought the possibility of having some degree more serious dissocative dissorder like dissocative identety dissorder, but this is just a tought.

So the problem:

My sleep talking happens at the ends of REM phases of sleep.

At good nights I talk/scream just only once, when it's almost time for me to wake up.

But in the bad nights when I usually feel more stress in evening before going to bed, I usually wake up as a result of my sleep talking/screaming in every two hours, this can happen as much as 4 times in one night.

I usually wake up when someone of my neighbours screams towards me (tho they do this lot less now) or they bang the walls.

I feel exhausted, ashamed and embarrased for this. Not only that I may have woken them up, but for the fact I see these dreams where I am not adult but a child, doing child stuff, like 5 years old and I yell stuff that 5 years old would yell and it just feels so embarrasing.

I feel somewhat violated every time it happens. I'm 23 not 5 years old and the shame is just unbearable. I see also dreams and talk during sleep where I am as old as I am now, or little younger. Then there are those dreams that I just feel they are so strange. I feel they don't belong to me, this is one reason for my tought of maybe having did dissorder, as well as those dreams where I feel and act as a child.

So if anyone has some good tips of how to not talk/yell due to sleep,/ways of reducing this, Id be pleased to hear them.

Is there any way of prevent sleep talking? Non-medically, or is there some non medical sleep aid that would help?

Prazosin is a good medicine for night terrors. I have them still they may wake me up but my dog is there to bring me down if I happen to still remember them. More often than not I do not remember what it was about so I can go immediately back to sleep. Look up the thread about the meds here. Some very good information.

You aren't crazy at all, normal stuff for ptsd unfortunately. Like RM said Prazosin works for night terrors. I have just been prescribed it one month ago and it's mitigating those symptoms. Screaming awake in someone else's home is freeking embarrassing and violating like you say. I did that night after night during a Christmas vacation at my sisters home...full of kids and adults....so embarrassing...not to mention the shock, fear, panic, confusion that goes with. So sorry you are struggling with this.

If you are able, finding a psychiatrist is so very important. Hope you are feeling better.

Prazosin is a good medicine for night terrors. I have them still they may wake me up but my dog is there to bring me down if I happen to still remember them. More often than not I do not remember what it was about so I can go immediately back to sleep. Look up the thread about the meds here. Some very good information.

I see. Thank you for your answer I look that prazosin up as well as that thread of meds.

You aren't crazy at all, normal stuff for ptsd unfortunately. Like RM said Prazosin works for night terrors. I have just been prescribed it one month ago and it's mitigating those symptoms. Screaming awake in someone else's home is freeking embarrassing and violating like you say. I did that night after night during a Christmas vacation at my sisters home...full of kids and adults....so embarrassing...not to mention the shock, fear, panic, confusion that goes with. So sorry you are struggling with this.

If you are able, finding a psychiatrist is so very important. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for support, it sure is confusing and embarrassing to scream myself awake. Also relieving when that you seay I'm not going crazy. I look that prazosin and when seeing psychiatrist, propably ask them to prescribe it for me. Thanks for reply

But in the bad nights when I usually feel more stress in evening before going to bed, I usually wake up as a result of my sleep talking/screaming in every two hours,
This insight is absolute gold:)

Loads of ways to destress the mind before going to sleep. Some take a little time and practice to adjust to. Looking into general sleep hygiene and improving that? May help.

But if it's particularly bad on nights when you're stressed as you're going to bed/falling asleep? That's the part I'd work on. Guided relaxation is something I've recently introduced to my nightly sleep routine, and having gotten over my (long) list of beefs with guided relaxation (there were so many reasons I absolutely hated it!!), I can't imagine putting myself through the drama of going to bed without that 10 minutes of calm now.

Also check with your doc - some meds make nightmares more intense (the nicotine mints I take for example - who knew!?). They may be able to help remove stuff from the equation as an alternative to adding more meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back