1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this is embarrassing.... bringing plushie to doctors appointment

Discussion in 'Medical' started by GettingBetter, Jun 3, 2018.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter New Member

After childhood sexual abuse and years of medical torture (aka being chronically ill), going to the Dr now terrifies me. Last time I had a panic attack and cried in the corner of my house before I had to call to make an appt.

The past 2 times I went, I brought my favorite stuffed animal with me. It was such a help, I seriously don’t think I would’ve made it otherwise!

I just told the Dr I’m a trauma survivor and they really couldn’t care less about me bringing a plush friend. One even asked if it was a boy/girl and was sad to find out I didn’t have a name for him lol (note: always name your plushies).

I should probably look at it that I’m actually doing the adult thing by taking care of myself so I don’t have a panic attack, and they can do their job. And I’m proud I even told them I’m a trauma survivor.

But I’m so embarrassed. It’s humiliating at my age.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Learning how to be myself Premium Member

I think it's absolutely a sign of tremendous strength to take a stuffed animal to your doctor's appointment, even if you feel embarrassed and humiliated by it, rather than to simply not go. Not going is the easy option. Going anyway, even if you feel embarrassed? Fantastic. You deserve a round of applause, @GettingBetter.

4. Mach123

Mach123 Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

Don't feel bad. I cried last time I saw my primary care. I was totally unprepared and had no idea I would do a thing like that. I was embarrassed and so was the doctor. Oh well. I could care less really, she's a doctor. Next time I see her it'll be different, that's if she's still at that office. I like her. A few months have gone by. Everyone is thinking about something else. I wish that was the only thing I had to think about. It seemed like a big thing a few months ago. Now it's not.

EveHarrington and somerandomguy like this.
  5. EveHarrington

EveHarrington _______ in progress. Premium Member

Nah, not humiliating at all!

Besides, exactly who made up these rules that say adults can’t have plushies? (They should be smacked for making up such a dumb rule, lol!)

I have two....smaller and larger versions of the same Bear. Their names only differ by one letter. The little bear has been with me the longest and always goes with me on overnight trips. Guys think it’s cute. They say I can get away with it because I’m female.

Wanna know a secret? The bears have the same soul.....the bears are my inner child in plush form. This explains why I’d be DEVASTATED if anything happened to either one of them. Dev. Ah. State. ED!!! Oh, I can’t even think about it without feeling sick.

6. Sietz

Sietz I'm a VIP

I have a bear too. Its been with me for 25 years. Nothing to be embarassed about :)

7. Starfire

Starfire New Member

You are so taking care of yourself. You are making the experience as bearable to everyone involved. I got a small stuffed animal & attached my keys to it. I expected people to give me a look or ask. I was prepared with a 'I'm always forgetting/losing my keys' rationale. Nobody every asked & it did keep me from losing my keys several times!! I do admire that you told your Doctor. The way they reacted was priceless. Maybe some day I'll be as brave as you are.

blackemerald1 and Sietz like this.
  8. Mach123

Mach123 Well-Known Member Premium Member Donated

It's hysterical the way you refer to it BTW, I cracked up when I read that, IDK if that's how you refer to a stuffed animal where u r, or it's your pet name but, it made me laugh.

9. LilyRose

LilyRose Well-Known Member

I still have my bear next to my bed.. i grew up taking him everywhere with me, he is in almost all the pictures with me as a kid. He can still make me feel a bit safer sometimes. I also have some stuffed animals in my car and in my house actually, but those are just for fun...
    So don't be embarrassed.

blackemerald1 likes this.
  10. Briar Rose

Briar Rose Member

You don't have to be embarrassed by tacking your plushie! They can be a big help :)
    I totally agree with somerandomguy’s words.

When I was in hospital last November, the woman next to me had a really huge plushed moose with her, no one said something about it. As I was an emergency I din’t had anything with me so my plushie had to stay at home, but I have a few as well. They are really important to me, and helping me feel safe.

EveHarrington and blackemerald1 like this.
  11. MyWillow

MyWillow Well-Known Member

If I could take one of my cats or dogs to medical or T appointments I really would. They are my living, breathing plushies and my only true family. I take them to University when I give lectures on animal behaviour. Changed my world in terms of delivering with total confidence. I can get up in front of anyone now without nerves because I know the hearts and souls of my furry friends are with me.

12. MyWillow

MyWillow Well-Known Member

Ohhhh I should add that I sometimes take my Working Spaniels to T and leave them in my very well set up, secure and ventilated 4WD. Only if the weather is cool of course.

My T will ask if I have them and suggests I take them for a walk after session. Helps to make my muddled, dissociated brain safe enough for driving.

Starfire likes this.
  13. FragileGlass

FragileGlass Active Member

Not to fear..... 43 Year old male in a hectic world of hospital emergency unit, long story behind my 42 year old plush Koala. My mom used to restuff it when I was a kid. I loved the bear, it went everywhere with me. It was well used. My mom was going to reline, recondition and stuff my bear again so that I could give it to my children one day. Sadly mom never got to do it. She passed away 18 years ago.

So.... the ugly ratty bear goes on every flight I take, every long driving trip I go, today it’ll be sitting in my car when I head to my psychologist. It’s a well travelled bear! But wow is he ever ugly! It’s even in my will that he is to go on the final trip with me.

somerandomguy likes this.