• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Military Soldiers And Ptsd From Exposure To Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sighs

MyPTSD Pro
Soldiers get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death.
@KwanYingirl - soldiers do NOT get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death. Sorry - I don't mean to hijack this thread and I am certainly not in any way disrespecting the trauma of long term domestic violence, but your statement is ignorant and incorrect. For one thing, my vet spent over ten years in total on deployment in war zones so his exposure was by no means short term. And while I am not prepared to go into the details of his trauma death was only one part of it.

I've tried to post a link to Anthony's excellent thread about combat PTSD below:-
https://www.myptsd.com/threads/killing-is-not-what-messes-with-your-head.46408/

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sighs , I've added the quote to the post you were responding to however moved it to a thread of it's own as you responded to one comment which was taking the thread off topic so please discuss away here :)

@KwanYingirl , feel free to offer your response here if you wish.

@Sighs heartfelt apologies for my shortsighted remark. You are correct that it was ignorant. I have moments of total brain f**ks that hurt people that I genuinely care for. I don't know you, but I do care for you as you deserve my respect. I am trying to reign in my thoughtless part and thank you for calling me out.

soldiers do NOT get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death

Your ignorance is remarkable. :mad: Each soldier is different. Each situation and person is different. Some may, some may not.

And that's all I'm gona say about that. :devilish:

Last edited:
@Sighs... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the quote below that you wrote as a slight typo: Soldiers do not just get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death... Especially as you went on to reference a post that innumerates the many ways in which your head is put in a blender in combat & combat theatres.

soldiers do NOT get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death.[/user]

Last edited:
soldiers do NOT get PTSD from relatively short term exposure to death.
Your statement isn't correct, and in fact, the context in which you have cited another post of mine shows the difference in relevance. A person can get PTSD just from being in a combat zone, seeing no death and having never fired a shot. The act of being present, wearing a uniform (bullseye upon your back) is enough for some soldiers to get PTSD.

A soldier can be deployed on a brief mission, be involved with direct death, and get PTSD. Your statement has zero validity and is factually incorrect.

@FridayJones - absolutely correct - I didn't mean to say that soldiers (or any one else) can't/don't ever get PTSD from short term exposure to death. It just seemed like such a gross oversimplification.

@KwanYingirl - no apology necessary. I'm guessing you meant to say that soldiers CAN get PTSD from that (among other things). I was having a bad day and reacted on emotion. Looks like we both have moments of total brain f*cks where we say things that upset people without meaning to. I'm sorry if my knee jerk reaction distressed you.

@Barberian and @anthony - if you knew me you would know that I would never disrespect a veteran so I apologise if my statement offended either of you in any way.

Your ignorance is remarkable. :mad: Each soldier is different. Each situation and person is different....

I am a Psychology major coming to the end of my education. There are 50,000 ways to diagnose PTSD. No, that is not an exaggeration, it is a fact that is taught in universities by PhD psychologists.

Do NOT take your own experiences or the experiences of those you know and throw them up against others. When you do that, it becomes obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, it invalidates what that other person has been through and you are not qualified to do that.

When you do that, it becomes obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.
To be honest, you sound more trollish than psychologist in training. Psychologists I have met, would have read and understood the words and not skipped over or dismissed, as you have, "Each situation and person is different. Some may, some may not."

I think that screams 50,000 different ways to diagnose. Every person is unique, was stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back