• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Something Happened Today - Accosted By Homeless Man /vent/

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackques

Learning
After my therapy appointment, I was at the bus stop in the dark. I'm already paranoid that someone will bother or harass me if I'm by myself, and today that came true and really set me back a bit.

I feel bad being so shaken up by this, because it isn't nearly as bad as most things that have happened to me, but I keep getting reminded of it & spiraling. He looked pretty out of it, delusional, on drugs, etc... Pretty old homeless man.

I tried to just mind my business at first, but then he got really close to me and started asking how old I was. I panicked and said I was 17 just so he'd think I was underage and possibly back off. But after that he kept asking to touch my hair, alternating between "Can I touch your hair? You're so beautiful. how old are you? Can I touch your hair? How old are you? Can you read? How old are you, can I touch your hair?" I kept saying no, and fidgeted with my phone. In response he asked me to give it to him, then asked for my license and my credit cards. I told him I didnt have them, and then he started going into scarier territory, which is what has led me to writing this now.

"Have you ever killed anyone?" he kept asking me this in between asking to touch me. God, I dont know what I would have done if he did touch me. I was so frozen, I locked down EVERYTHING and answered "i dont know" to about everything he asked in a desperate attempt to make sure I didnt somehow upset him. "Is murder illegal? Would you kill? Would you kill me? Are you bisexual? Do I look gay? My dad tried to kill me once, you wouldnt do that to me would you? My grandma pointed her gun at me" and so on and so on. This guy obviously had some major trauma, but I was so struck.

What really got me is that this guy walked past us-- super EMPTY road. he looked over at me, with my back against the glass & this strange man getting super close to me and saying all this scary stuff, and he looked away and kept walking. I dont know what I would have done in that situation, or if i would have helped, but it just. Really freaked me out and made me think that if anything happened, no one would help me.

I'm glad I'm safe. But I needed to tell someone about this at the very least. so thank you for reading.

Hey @jackques - that was a very creepy moment for you. Ugh..

He does sound like someone who is psychologically damaged. How old do you think he was?

You stood your ground and didn't react/respond to his provocations so well done to you!!

I know that getting away from this kind of situation is a big deal and I am glad you did. It's all so random at times isn't it? We think we survived one trauma and then we find ourselves looking directly into the possibility of another and it's very scary.

Shame on that man who witnessed and walked away. Highly likely he would have done this from a sense of fear.

Glad you are safe. :hug:

@blackemerald1 He was definitely in his 50s at least. It makes me incredibly sad that life does this to some people but I try to remember that it doesn't invalidate the fear they may cause in other people through their actions.

Thank you so much for your reply, it's hard to frame the event as something that I came out of safely, but what you wrote is helping me do that

I went through stuff like this a lot. I felt so vulnerable walking down the street whenever someone was acting up like I was naked and they would look up at a crowd of people and see me sticking out like a sore thumb. That boundary which is what I think it was is worse now. Not about people in the street just the sense of being exposed. That happened to me last time I tried to go to 12 step meetings actually I got accosted. It's not as bad as what you're saying but it always felt like it. I freeze or go limp and I have a terrible reaction after. I always feel like I should do something violent but I'm not really able. I carried a handgun for a few years. That's how bad I was about this. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It's not your fault. : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back