• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Something i forgot my meds did

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessC

Confident
So I've been off my meds for over 2weeks now, and I forgot that when I get stressed at work I get hives. Now I've been itching like crazy which doesn't help my stress.

So I've been off my meds for over 2weeks now, and I forgot that when I get stressed at work I get hives. Now I've been itching like crazy which doesn't help my stress.
What have you done in the past to sooth the hives? Does taking Benadryl or something like it help at all?

What have you done in the past to sooth the hives? Does taking Benadryl or something like it help at all?
Just be itchy. I don't want to explain to people here why I'm always stressed to the point of hives. I'd rather be driven crazy by it.

No, you don't need to explain @jch. But there's no reason you need to suffer with hives if some other kind of OTC medication would relieve some of the itching.

I've no idea if it would - I have a friend who gets stress hives, and Benadryl helped them somewhat.

(or, if you didn't really want anyone to respond, we can move this post into a trauma diary for you.)

It’s worth seeing a doctor for.

Something that surprised me in that in the ER with a friend with the worst stress hives I’ve ever seen (halfway to anaphylaxis swollen, with scalded looking patches the size of hard back books... we had no idea they were stress hives, but yep!)... in addition to giving her some to take in the ER; they told her to start carrying around some TUMS (calcium based antacid) at the first sign, long before she’d cave and take antihistamines (ditto, Benadryl, instead of the chlortrimatron she takes for seasonal allergies).

Apparently something in them bonds to cells that are freaking the hell out and calling on the immune system for help destroying themselves. More than any other antihistamine, antiinflammatory, anti-itch it’s the simple calcium supplement she takes now daily & TUMS on first itch/swelling that help the most.

Whilst TUMS and other antacids are over the counter, and relatively safe for most people to take? There are clearly going to be some medications (like calcium channel blockers, or antibiotics that bond to and are rendered useless by calcium) and conditions ( like GI issues being otherwise treated) that are going to react badly. This is NOT my saying to go out and buy a bottle of calcium antacids. Rather? That seeing a doctor can lead to some surprisingly effective/easy treatments you might not have considered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back