• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

St. Johns Wort In High Dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterre

MyPTSD Pro
A year ago I started to descrease my chemical medication use. I took diffent antidepressants for more than 16 years, and the last five years added sleeping pills and some other chemical medication with it.

I weened myself off very slowly. Now after a year, I am on a small crumble of antidepressant. I cut the last pill into four sections and take one small crumble to go slow on the last part. I dont take anymore sleeping medication now for over six months, instead I use a high dosage of melatonine. It really helps me to fall a sleep.

Now I am considering to switch over to a high dosage of st. Johnsworth, because I dont feel very well, and could use something that makes me more stable.

I safely tried a low dosage of st johnsworth besides the little crumb of antidepressant.
For now I feel the st Johnsworth is doing something but I am not quitte sure if it is helping or not.

I have done some research and there seems to be a high dosaged st johnsworht ( 600 /900mg) out on the market. Ussually the dosage is somewhere between 245 and 300 mg. Yesterday I bought a sample of it, but I feel somewhat reluctant and scared to take it.

When I doubled the amount of the cheap and regular St.Johnsworth, I was awake for the whole night, unable to sleep. I tried it twice to make sure it was from the effect of the St.Johnsworth, and not something else, that kept me awake.

So, it is doing something, but I am not sure what, and if it will be safe enough for me to take it. Does anybody else have experienced effects of high dosed St. Johnsworth?
Did it do something for you?

I dont know if I am allowed to name the brand of the high dosaged St. Johnsworth.

I have never used it. I have heard it can help with depression, however it stops the contraceptive pill from working. So if you are using this as birth control you will need to use a barrier method like condoms to prevent pregnancy. Please be careful.

Thanks Anna!
I am aware of the contraindication of using St. Johnsworth together with the pill. I dont use the pill or any other contraceptive.

I've tried St. Johns Wort, and never really felt much of a difference. I think it works for some people and not for others depending on which of your chemicals need a boost. Here are some other things that did help:

Rhodiola
Magnesium (glycinate)
Colostrum

Also, you can try a type of Folic Acid, it's called L-Methylfolate or Metafolin. They are using it to treat depression by prescription...I forget the brand name, but the prescription is a very high dose. You can buy 400 or 800 mcg. at a helthfood store and try that. :)

Sterre,
I am taking it now. I found it at an herb/vitamin store. They are 300 mg. tablets. I also noticed if I took them at night that I didn't sleep well. So, I take them in the morning. I don't notice anything right now like I did the first couple of days. You body gets used to it.

Someone else on the forum warned me against taking an SSRI drug with the herb. It can react. So, I would wait until you have stopped that anti-depressant.

I started with 1 capsule and then will double after a couple of weeks and see how that goes.

From what I know it's like an anti-depressant and it takes a while to work. I figure I don't have anything to lose by trying it. I hate the drugs from the doctors. Nighthawlk started taking it the same time as me.

Also if you drink it's not recommended with the herb.

Good luck. If you have any questions or comments just contact me.:)

Ah, nice that you and Nighthawk are trying Saint Johnsworth also!

I dont drink ( I dont like the taste of alcohol), so I dont have to worry about that part.

Sterre,
I am taking it now.
Someone else on the forum warned me against taking an SSRI drug with the herb. It can react. So, I would wait until you have stopped that anti-depressant.

I started with 1 capsule and then will double after a couple of weeks and see how that goes.

:)

Maybe it would be an idea to share our experiences in this topic?

In this way we can compare our experience for the benefit of others?

Yesterday I started with taking a pill of 6oomg ( wich contains 2 mg of hypericine), and today I took another one.

Maybe it is a placebo effect, but I feel a bit more energetic today, than I felt for a long time.

I also notice an increased craving for food?

I slept really wel last night, but I took two melatonine tablets.

I have been taking St Johns Wort for several years. It helps immensely with my depression. My current primary care provider and my previous one (both MDs) are in favor of it, and have given me prescriptions for it so it is covered under my Health Savings Account. When I don't take it, I really notice a difference in my mood. Good luck with it!

Maybe it would be an idea to share our experiences in this topic?

In this way we can compare our experience for the benefit of others?

Yesterday I started with taking a pill of 6oomg ( wich contains 2 mg of hypericine), and today I took another one.

I think sharing is a good idea.

Just be careful about taking so much so fast. I read you should start slow in case you have side effects. Just let me know.

I am going to start taking melatonin in the next few days too. I tried valerian but I couldn't take it because of the smell. However, my cats love it.:)

So now you have really relaxed cats? How nice :)

The St.Johnsworth is working just fine. I notice that it creates a mild shield to my current oversensitivity.
I notice a difference, also the melatonine I take ( 2x 3 mg) is good for sleep.

After 5 years on sleeping pills, I am so happy that the melatonine is working! After 16 years of AD's I am very happy that the ST.Johnsworth ( wich I was highly skeptical of) also seems to work in a mild way.

How is the St.Johnsworth working for you AngelaMarie?

I may be feeling a little better. I am going to give it a couple more weeks. Sometimes I forget to take it too.:confused: At least I don't have withdrawel symptoms when I do.

I am super glad about the melatonin. I need to get some too. I am not too worried about it right now because I'm sleeping okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back