• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Starting Concerta (generic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL/DR way down at bottom...

So I have symptoms of delusional disorder, PTSD, OCD, GAD, depression, and BPD. Nothing seems to work, but I admit I get impatient staying with meds longer than a month, and I quit them a lot sooner than that if they have bad side-effects.

One thing I never gave much thought to was whether I may have ADD/ADHD. My regular p-doc says "no". He says ADHD meds are not wise for me. He says my anxiety is caused mainly by my delusions. I started to doubt him, because I ended up reading enough about ADHD to see I have symptoms that fit the criteria for it.

I overfocus. I'll have nine hours a day to do something that takes 2 hours, and I'll feel I have to finish as soon as possible, and get very anxious. If I have three things to get done, I can't concentrate on number one, because I'm constantly thinking of how I have to do two and three. I also have found that when certain things are nagging me all of my anxiety goes away. These are not delusional things, nor really depressive things. They are things that just sort of hit a sweet spot of bothersomeness, wherein they stay on my mind and stop me from overfocusing on tasks.

I went to a second p-doc and, without many questions, he gave me a Rx for Adderall. Taking it was like drinking too much coffee, but not to the point of nervousness, just a sort of inner-discomfort. However, I was taking Aurobindo brand generic, and I found later that it has a bad rep for ineffectiveness. So I went to the second p-doc again about four months later, and he has given me generic Concerta. (I wanted to try Adderall again from a different manufacturer, but he wasn't convinced that the Aurobindo Adderall was any different from other generics.) I like the fact that Conerta is ER, but I have taken it on an empty stomach and a full stomach, and have felt nothing at all after a few days.

TL/DR: Does anyone have any opinions about Adderall vs. Concerta vs. Ritalin? (Worth noting: I have been on 2mg of Risperidone for a month, and I have been on 200mg of Lamotrigine for several months, as prescribed by my regular p-doc.)

TL/DR: Does anyone have any opinions about Adderall vs. Concerta vs. Ritalin? (Worth noting: I have been on 2mg of Risperidone for a month, and I have been on 200mg of Lamotrigine for several months, as prescribed by my regular p-doc.)
Just to say something you might already have in mind - you're on the starting dose of Risperidone, and whether or not your Psych #1 is interested in talking to you about titrating up, will most likely affect any additional meds. Also, Lamictal has a complicated set of interactions (as does Risperidone). Concerta is much more benign than either Adderall or Ritalin.

My advice would be to get back to one psych managing your medication profile. Whether you stick w/ Pdoc1 or Pdoc2, totally your call. But you might be trying to get these medications to work against each other, inadvertently.

Paging @Friday, who has more experience w/the ADHD meds in general...(not the only member who does, obviously, please, anyone should weigh in)

@joeylittle That's definitely sound advice, and I can't argue with it...but I probably won't do it.

P-doc 1 says "take the Lamictal and Risperdal at the same time", so there's no contraindication there. He also did in fact start Risperdal titration, going up to 3mg. But I've just stopped taking it of my own volition. Maybe it was a lie just to get me to start taking it, but he had told me originally that I would feel something within a week. I took it for a month and the only thing I've noticed is hunger and weight-gain.

Everything online has said Lamictal and Concerta are fine together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back