Starting intensive outpatient program

loui50

MyPTSD Pro
Hi everyone. I haven't been around in a while. I started an intensive outpatient program 2 weeks ago with a therapist trained in EMDR. I really like her. I do individual therapy one time a week and group 3 days a week. It happens that the days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Then I'm alone with my thoughts and feelings for 4 days. It's a lot to bring up in 7 hours of therapy then be left on my own with no support. Does this sound normal? I can email my new therapist with concerns between sessions but I don't want to email her just because I feel alone with all this. Should I maybe ask for a second individual session on Fridays to shorten the time I'm alone?

Friday

I can email my new therapist with concerns between sessions but I don't want to email her just because I feel alone with all this
Feeling alone with all of this IS a concern between sessions. That it’s not a one off short-lived sort of crisis between sessions, but an ongoing issue? Makes it more useful to bring to the table to discuss/brainstorm, not less.

If you’d rather wait to discuss in person, that’s totally fair. You can also email her to let her know what the issue is, and that you’d rather discuss in person, since it’s not a crisis moment... which would also give her more time to come up with potential solutions to discuss with you.

Sure, adding another session might help. A lot. Or it might make the gap even more intense, and a lot worse.... so other solutions (like working on containment, or a “do something fun” homework assignment, or take a totally not-trauma-related class, or a trauma focused support option -like equine therapy, or trauma focused yoga- etc.) might work way better.

Hit her up. Use her noggin to help you work through this. That’s both her calling, and an option she put on the table. Take her up on it.

.o2

loui50

MyPTSD Pro
Thanks Friday. I typed out a whole email about how I was feeling and didn't send it. I'm definitely going to bring it up tomorrow in my individual session. I just feel like they are giving me so much who am I to ask for more. But then again I am paying them!