Starting with a new therapist

Feeb1959

New Here
I have had 5 sessions with a new therapist- my previous therapist could no longer see me- I saw her for 5 years and really trusted her-unfortunately she stops seeing people over 64- anyway I am having so much anxiety starting with someone new- she is kind of jittery and I wish she seemed more calm- I would appreciate any words of support about starting with a new therapist- I am on waiting list for another therapist but every therapist in my area are not taking new clients

Sues

MyPTSD Pro
Hi, I'm sorry that you had to change therapists after such a long and positive relationship with your previous one. As you probably know from that experience, the relationship with your therapist is key to your success and progress in therapy. Not every therapist will be a good match for everyone, and it sounds like this new one is not a good match for you. If it was just something like the way she speaks to you, then it would be easier to address and possible manage. But being "Jittery" is probably a personality trait and sounds like it would be difficult for her to change.

Could you stay on the waiting list and in the meantime try to find a therapist that does 'distance' or computer sessions? That way they wouldn't have to be nearby and it gives you a much larger selection to choose from. You might be able to find a better match sooner.

Feeb1959

New Here
Hi, I'm sorry that you had to change therapists after such a long and positive relationship with your previous one. As you probably know from that experience, the relationship with your therapist is key to your success and progress in therapy. Not every therapist will be a good match for everyone, and it sounds like this new one is not a good match for you. If it was just something like the way she speaks to you, then it would be easier to address and possible manage. But being "Jittery" is probably a personality trait and sounds like it would be difficult for her to change.

Could you stay on the waiting list and in the meantime try to find a therapist that does 'distance' or computer sessions? That way they wouldn't have to be nearby and it gives you a much larger selection to choose from. You might be able to find a better match sooner.
Thanks for your feedback- I am going to be with my uncomfortable feelings- and stay with her for now- after talking to my partner I realize she isn’t always jittery and my inner child just wants my old therapist- I prefer to do in person therapy