• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Stopping Prazosin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTSDbegone

Confident
Wondering if anyone has stopped taking Prazosin? if so was it difficult?

I stopped a couple nights ago, and have had the worst nights sleep since. Just wondering how long it lasts for.

Thank you

i had no problems stopping it or clonidine , but since i've stopped my blood pressure is always high , beforehand it used to be perfect with the exception of when i got upset

Word to the wise: If your doctor tells you to get off the meds, then they will slowly wean you off the meds. However, cutting out meds cold turkey is a sure sign of danger in many ways and side effects that would drive a man into the hospital.

Talk to your doctor, IMMEDIATELY!

Took me about a week to re-adjust; basically, learning how to go to sleep on my own again.
cutting out meds cold turkey is a sure sign of danger in many ways and side effects that would drive a man into the hospital.
This is a bit general and alarmist. It is true that psychotropic drugs have very important discontinuation protocols. Prazosin is not a psychotropic. The medical concern would be in hypertension, if you were taking it as it's mainly used (for high blood pressure). The doses for PTSD are commonly low, and discontinuation can be done simply by stopping, if that's what your doc tells you to do.

The reminder is that you should always check with your doctor. @PTSDbegone, I'm curious too, why are you stopping it? I did recently, because I do think I need to - or want to - learn how to sleep on my own. Also, I'm a sleepwalker, and combining that with the artificially low blood pressure caused me some falls (I think - it's hard to know for sure).

I go on and off of it all the time. I have low blood pressure and it makes it worse. More than once I have felt like passing out in the shower because of it. But then of course the nightmares come back so I start taking it again.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have stopped taking it because I can't find a pharmacy that has it in stock right now where I live. It happened once before where it wasn't available for a few months and I started taking Nabilone instead which didn't help with the nightmares really.

I have realized this medication has eased the nightmares to a certain degree. I didn't think it was possible but the nightmares and flashbacks have been worse without Prazosin. Still no word from the pharmacy when it will be available again :(

Just an update.. I am back on Prazosin. The pharmacies finally received stock. I am not sure why this happens with this medication. I do notice a little difference on it. I didn't realize before stopping it for a short bit.

Not on it currently, but when given Prazosin I had to go to 3 pharmacies before I could find it in stock. And I'm in a city.

That is good to know it's just not here @Ocean5 Thank you for that. I am also in a major City and don't quite understand why it can be difficult to get.

The past few days I have been exhausted all the time. Not sure if it's from the meds, therapy, or what.. a combination maybe? it's so hard to tell sometimes.

@PTSDbegone I don't think it's given out that much. My pharmacy first had this really weird look at prescription. Then later they told me their supply would expire in 3 months - so they couldn't give it out. Next place would order it for me. Finally 3rd place had it. But same strange look - like "what is this."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back